ipad 2 - better PDF organizing, annotating, highlighting, etc...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thesmoth, Nov 5, 2010.

1. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I am a scientist so I need to organize a large number of PDF papers, but also be able to highlight key things, make comments on them, etc... Will this be better supported with the ipad 2?

Also...

I have a morning ritual that I need to share. I call it "the terminator". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator traveling through time" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing either A...rnold or the guy from the second movie (not the chick in the third one because that one sucked) and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I slowly rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It ruins the fantasy.

2. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

First off, what you are talking about does not require different hardware. You just need the right app. As for your terminator pose......well, all I can say is TMI man, TMI....

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

Try iAnnotate or Goodreader in the App Store for all of your PDF needs, both available now, no new hardware required.

If you really were a cyborg from the future you'd already know this. :)

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I think the OP needs:
    * GoodReader - to annotate and manage PDFs
    * Less SciFi - enough said LOL :cool:

5. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

You could also look at the Papers App. I haven't used it myself but it's meant to be purpose designed for storing, searching and annotating scientific papers.

6. onabudget macrumors newbie

He needs less iPad and science and more going out and getting laid ;)

7. BobHail, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BobHail macrumors 6502a

As long as the iPad is bound to the iOS = a mobile phone´s OS, we are never going to have any serious benefits that this device could do. This is ridiculous for the size of the device.

Apple needs to seperate iPad from iOS and make a "iPadOS" (or just OS X) or somekind of hybrid of OS X and iOS.

iOS just limits badly all the possibilities of iPad, which is very very sad. :(

8. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

These comments are getting really old now as you only ever talk in generalities. We've offered several different Apps as possible ways of managing and annotating PDFs. What specifically do you think is wrong with them? And of those problems, which are the result of a fundamental limitation of iOS?

9. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Answer:
    It sounds like you need the new Windows 7 Tablet. Available on April 1st at the Microsoft Store.

And a suggestion for those bothersome shower curtains:

1- Remove the shower curtain.
    2- Point a webcam at your bathtub.
    3- Upload the resulting video to YouTube! Or maybe Adult Swim. :eek:
    4- Wait for the appropriate authorities to show up.

Have Fun, :p
    Keri.

PS. Well, just so long as you don't SING in the shower! Humming isn't THAT bad.

10. Queen6, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

iPad simply requires you to change the way you deal with data, once you make the change the device is extremely productive. One of my colleagues often refereed to the iPad as a "cute little toy" until the general manager dictated that we have x,y,z done for the morning meeting. Whilst my colleague was bemoaning the forthcoming nights work, I had completed my presentation and supporting document`s in the company car, uploaded to iWork and remotely exported to MS formats on my MacBook Pro, ready for the morning, during the journey home :cool:

Personally I can only see the iPad going from strength to strength, 4.2 will move the pad into the "enterprise" IOS is one of the few OS`s that my company accepts and we are 110K strong globally. IOS may not give the power user the freedom he or she want`s however it does launch applications pretty much flawlessly and is only limited by the software developed.

Q-6

11. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Considering the lack of physical changes in the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and most other Apple products, a physical design change is feeling extremely unlikely. A Wacom system is the only real possibility of changing the way the touch screen works right now, and I do not see that appearing on any of Apple's products, let alone the very specific iPad second-generation.

Therefore, any changes to be made will likely to almost exclusively be made to the software side of things, and the iPad is guaranteed to get most, if not all functions outside of camera functions.

Therefore, if the current iPad really doesn't work properly for you, which is a possibility, you should not get it. However, applications can truly make all of the difference, and things like Goodreader are very good at some key tasks (yes, I stole that quote from Jobs) and you might be able to make it work very well using those applications.

12. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

Noterize for pdf annotation. It's what i use nearly every day. And it works perfectly. And you can easily upload right from noterize to good reader to organize into folders, etc. Noterize guys did say that they were going to get folders in an update in the future, but for now the dual app routine works great for me.

13. TNSF macrumors member

A real terminator wouldn't be bothered by a little shower curtain contact. You need to toughen up.

14. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Just ignore him. Seriously, think about the psychology of someone who doesn't even own an iPad, and has no apparent interest in getting one, yet trolls the iPad forum complaining about it nearly every day.

15. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. Papers looks neat, but has a lot of bad reviews. Seems like a good concept that hasn't been well executed yet (syncing and organization problems, which is the main thing I want it for).

If it had a link into scifinder i think I would go buy an ipad tomorrow (especially if it had chemical structure input).

I will go through and look at the other apps everyone else suggested. Another reason I want to wait for the ipad 2, is that by that time all of these apps mentioned will have evolved and improved, and new ones will be out that can do more and hopefully better match what I need. Also that way I get the newest ipad.

Also, to give a bit more background on the terminator pose.

I want to have the warm water from the shower head blasting on my face with my eyes closed while crouched in the terminator pose, so that the noise and pressure from the water disorients me and further removes me from reality. The slow controlled movement of flexing my muscles and standing up straight will further immerse me in the fantasy, because it will take immense concentration. All factors in this situation will need strong focus. To ensure that I don't get hurt I will need to be vigilant while dealing with my eyes being closed, the water rushing over my face, the loud noise from the water hitting my ears, the slippery porcelain, and the slow and controlled rise of my body. The slightest mistake while executing this could be fatal, and so this alluring and potentially relaxing fantasy situation could quickly turn deadly (much like the risks the real terminator faced). I think the reason why i'm so drawn to the terminator shower ritual is because it has the potential to relax, rejuvenate and provide a short escape from reality, but it also presents risk and danger. Loosing balance throughout this onslaught to your senses could quickly ruin your day, and would painfully snap you back into reality. Win-win situation if you ask me.

16. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Pass on the iPad and buy a life instead :p

iAnnotate is my pick, along with good reader.

17. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Hiss.

If ipad2 has an SD card slot I would be very happy.

Transferring documents/PDF'S would be amazing. Apple won't do that because they are money grubbing douche's and they would rather you pay an obscene amount of money to upgrade to bigger internal storage.

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Check out the iTherapist app, for the love of all that is holy.

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

Couple of points to make on this:

1. Apple would never add a physical feature that not everyone would use. It would be unnecessary to some users and would drive the cost of the iPad up. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum has used every single hardware feature of the iPad in the last few days.

2. Apple don't really like physical storage. Ever wondered why you can't use your iPad or iPhone as a USB drive? It's much easier to dump stuff on iDisk or Dropbox. Cloud computing is the way forward, not clunky SD cards.

21. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

I'm finished studying molecular orbital theory for the night, and now time for a shower :)

22. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Just give us OS X.