iPad 2 bricked by failed iOS 6 update?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by crsh1976, Sep 19, 2012.

1. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

I got home early today, eager to update my trusty old iPad 2 to iOS 6; so I first updated iTunes for Windows to v10.7, backed up the iPad and proceeded to download the 790-some MB update.

The install started and I left the desk to grab something to drink from the kitchen - when I got back, iTunes was displaying an error message that the iPad couldn't be updated due to some error (not specified). I looked at my iPad and the screen is showing the "plug me to iTunes" visual.

Plug it in, nothing - iTunes doesn't see it. I can't restore via iTunes.

Force-reboot the iPad a few times, still the same visual, iTunes still doesn't see the device.

What do I do now? Can I force the device to reset itself so that iTunes will see it again and allow me to restore it?

Thanks.

2. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Try using a different USB port, cable, or different PC altogether. If none of those work, you can take it to an Apple store and they'll try to restore it for you.

3. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Put it in DFU.

----------

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

4. crsh1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I just saw the other thread - not having much luck here, I'm either not doing it right or it won't let me. I'll keep trying, seems like it's the only thing that may work - otherwise I'm heading to the local Apple Store.

5. JamesM1053 macrumors newbie

Try to plug it into a different computer. That other computer should detect a device that's in repair mode. For some reason when this bug happens the computer doesn't know what the iPad is anymore. Same thing just happened to my iPhone4.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If I remember right

Hold power button 10 seconds
    While holding power button press and hold home button 10 seconds
    Let go of power button continue to holding home button until iTunes notices ur iPad.

7. crsh1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know what, this just resolved my issue. For some stupid reason, my PC has both USB 2 and 3 ports, I was initially using a USB 3 port and it (apparently) stopped working - thus the device was no longer registering and iTunes couldn't see it. Plugging it into a USB 2 port worked tho, iTunes saw the device needed to be recovered and allowed me to restore it.

Weird, but this isn't an iOS 6 upgrade issue after all, it's a ****** PC issue.

8. ockley macrumors newbie

I can add to this, that it is not just a PC problem. My Mac did it too.

I am still in the recovery mode though, that will reset it like a new iPad. My iPhone just updated, but it looks like the iPad is about to go "blank" after the iOS update :-(

9. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Same problem. my iPhone 4 is stuck in a recovery mode reboot cycle. Originally tried updating over USB on my 2011 MBP and its now on its 4th reboot/upgrade.

Marvellous :(

----------

OK seems to be working now.

5 reboots/recovery mode later I saw a post which said to flush your DNS cache. Not sure why this would do it unless the update is trying to poll out and can't, but anyway I did that and on the 6th attempt it seems to be working and its now restoring my backup.

10. Demat macrumors newbie

It was my firewall

Hi

I thought I'd bricked my iPad2 (it was locked into recovery mode, could connect and be recognised by iTunes, but would always fail the update thanks to the 'unknown error'). Long story short - I disabled my firewall (Zonealarm) and the update then went through fine. :D

The only problem was that, because the first update failed, my ipad was 'recovered' and so I had to roll back to an earlier backup and now I have a ton of app updating and reinstalling to do. :( Good luck..!

Demat

11. iWeekend macrumors regular

dscacheutil -flushcache is the missing command.

Thank you for the post, from the bottom of my google searching heart.