Ipad 2 build quality concerns

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, May 6, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I've read many people say the Ipad 2 is better made than Ipad 1 but as a device I feel you could drop Ipad 1 and it would be less likely to damage. the thinness of the glass on Ipad 2 creates a ruff edge you can feel the glass long term putting pressure or holding it could separate it? If you press the middle it presses, each edge is firmly glued but there's a thread about separating glass.

So I'd question the liong term quality of the design. In a years time how will people's Ipad 2's be? Even with a case it's very fargile. To hold the Ipad 2 is miles more fragile than the Ipad 1 so people should be aware of this when upgrading. It's very thin = very fragile.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

In a year from now I got my iPad3 and handover the iPad2 to my son.

But seriously: of course there must be mechanical compromises to be done when build thin devices. Stability comes from structure and material. Less material will lead to less stability. Apple tried this time this way and will learn for iPad3.
    I'm sometime scared when the smart over smashes down to the glass driven by the magnets. Hope that will not create a crack anytime soon. Need to handle it with more care compared iPad1 with neopren cover.

3. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Less material will mean more fragile, but I would have to say they are both fragile. You have to look at it from a cost perspective. I'd bet it was more expensive for apple to produce the original (for obvious reasons) compared to the iPad2. The first was a shot in the dark. After the acceptance of the original iPad amongst consumers Apple knew they had hit a home run and would sell millions of the second version. I'm not trying to say the original is built better then the 2nd, its just the simple science behind a company trying to maximize profits.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Things generally get cheaper made over time.

Just look at the early VCR's build like tanks, all metal, weigh a ton, and bullet proof.
    Years later, they were much cheaper, all thin steel and plastic and weighed a fraction.

They still worked ok, but you threw them out when they broke and bought another.

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but they fell DRAMATICALLY in price did they not?

Apple don't work that way. iPhone 4 is as good as the first gen if not better.

Also Apple look to release top products not mid range or cheap models.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I wouldn't recommend you test out that hypothesis...

7. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

I second that....wait I already did that.....oops. It happened by accident but it did dent the backside and also caused the screen to pop up in the corner. The screen didn't crack and everything worked fine, I just had a dent on the back and a not so flush screen. Luckily I had an awesome guy at the genius bar and he swapped out my iPad for another since I was still within warranty (first gen). I told him what had happened and he said since the screen had popped up that was enough to swap out my unit even though there was present damage on the back that could easily be the cause of the popped out screen. (I think it had something to do with the fact that I still have the 2G iPhone in PERFECT condition with no case. Shows that I take excellent care of my Apples)

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Also shows that you do not exhibit passive aggressive or aggressive behaviors. Kudos.

9. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Apple have done the same thing with the iPad that they did with the iPhone.

The original iPhone was built to a standard, not to a price. The iPhone 3G felt a lot cheaper in the hand if you were used to an original iPhone.

Ditto the iPad. The original feels much better made than the newcomer.

10. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but I think the redesign of the IPhone 4 makes it higher quality than then 3GS. Not sure how IPhone 5 will be.