iPad 2: Buying from Craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jedi5, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

What kind of luck or deals have you guys scored from buying your i2 on CL?
    I'm located here near Chicago and while there are plenty iPads listed, there asking prices are pretty high.

I'm looking for a 16gb iPad 2 which can be found on the Apple site for $419 refurb. Hoping to score a better deal on CL and so far no dice.
    The *best* I've done so far is a 16gb for $410 but that seller is like 40 minutes away.

2. marktuk macrumors member

My advice, scrutinise the crap out of that thing before you buy it. Memorise some links to a website/video to help test for dead pixels. Ideally you want a full screen image of red, blue & green to properly test for dead pixels, also maybe a black to test for back light bleeding, but you need to go in to a dark area to test that, they might get a bit confused if you ask them to close the curtains and turn the lights off...

Obviously check the casing and screen for damage, holding it under bright light and looking the rear casing and screen at sharp angles show help show up even the lightest of damage.

Other than that play around with some apps on the device, see how it performs, but ultimately you need to make a call. If you don't like what you see, don't risk it.

3. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

I usually will not buy a apple product off craigslist unless its still under warranty.
    if it is still under warranty (as he says) ask for the serial number before you meet up and check it to make sure.

Make sure you meet in a public place like starbucks or where other people are around. Ask him before hand if you can physically hold and inspect the ipad and "use" it for a minute . Turn the brightness all the way up and check for dead pixels or anything suspicious. Just be smart. If the deal sounds too good to be true, then it is. If you show up and the ipad isnt in the shape you expected it to be in, just tell him no thanks, or try and negotiate it down. dont pull your cash out of your pocket or tell him where it is or anything like that.

I doubt you will find one on CL for anything less than 400$ and for the 100$ difference you might as well buy new , or cross your fingers the ipad 3 comes out soon. Also, CL sellers dont understand that electronics depreciate pretty quickly and they want what they paid for .. so if you find one desperate enough to sell you can strike a good deal. I will usually offer $50 less than the ad posting with a perk that I have cash in hand and am willing to meet the next day.

* I own a 32GB white ipad 2 3G and unless the next one has a significantly better display I wont be purchasing it.

4. danielxute macrumors member

I bought 2 brand new iPad 2's 16gb, one white and one black, for 735. They were brand new unopened. It was far from the city but i was already going to pass through there so i just picked them up. Probably the best deal i've gotten on craigslist. I sold the white one for 500 (listed for 475 and the guy offered 500 if i delivered). Pretty good week. :D

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Go for a refurb, only a little extra in this instance and the refurbs are pretty much brand new. Brand new casing and 12 months warranty

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Two rules for deals on Craigslist:

() As with Vegas, never spend more than you're prepared to lose.

() When buying or selling apply the same rule. If you're buying ask yourself what you'd be willing to sell for and be prepared to pay it. If you're a seller, imagine you're a buyer and ask what you'd be willing to pay.

7. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I had great luck with my son's iPad 1 that we bought him off of Craigslist for Christmas. Paid $250 for iPad with a case. The iPad was in excellent condition.
    Totally painless. But you definitely need to be careful with Craigslist.

8. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Got my 16gb 3G 3 days after launch day for $425. College student received it as a graduation gift and didn't want it. Didn't want 3G or white, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I love the white!

9. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I sold my iPad 2 16gb wifi only on Craigslist for $450 last week. Judging from some comments, I got really lucky on that sale. Nonetheless, the transaction was painless. We simply met at Starbucks and I let the guy test it out for a few seconds.

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I bought mine with its smart cover included for $450 in November. Contemplating listing it for $425 the day that invitations for the next announcement go out.

11. Akack macrumors 6502a

Bought used iPad 2 with gray smartcover and back cover for $420 last sept. iPad 2 still going around low 400s in my area..... 16 gb wifi version.

12. phpmaven, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm going to assume that you opened them before you handed over the money and made sure they actually had new iPads in them and not a couple of rocks. If you didn't, then you are dang lucky.

Wow, it's amazing what some people will pay for things. I guess P.T. Barnum was right. :D (google it if you don't get it)

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wouldn't trust CL for Apple products. If I were you, I would just get the refurb for $419.

14. DrNoellyG macrumors member

So you are selling one iPad and buying another one? I am referencing your other thread here
    Anyways, how much better of a deal are you looking for? 5%? 10%? A refurbished iPad from the Apple store is as good as new and has the same standar warranty that any other iPad from Apple has, plus you can get it delivered to you. How great of a deal are you looking for to let go of these benefits? Ask yourself that question and decide.

Personally I would just get a refub from the Apple online store and be done with it. It guarantees me that the iPad will be tested and with warranty. Also… no potential for scam.

15. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

It's not so much that I'm looking to buy from CL. I saw the refurbs on the Apple site and I agree with you said about buying refurb. My question more or less was on deals people were scoring. I have yet to see a new iPad that I would consider a great deal or steal. I guess others just have luck though.
    The ones around my area, people are selling their iPad at new prices.

16. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The prices people are asking for iPads on CL is ludacris! Like $375 for the 1st gen 16gb wifi!

Anyways I was persistent and scored a 16gb AT&T 3G for $450 like new (6 weeks old full warranty) with box and everything and he included a brand new smart cover. That's pretty much the best deal I can find that's not a scam. Pretty sure I can sell it for at least the same price when the 3 comes out :)

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Now THAT was a good deal.