iPad 2 + camera conn. kit + iMovie/iPhoto = portable studio

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadThai, Mar 16, 2011.

1. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

With the camera connection kit you just need your iPhone 4 camera connected to the USB adapter and you have yourself a fantastic portable studio on vacation!

I never bothered with the iPad 1 for vacation I took my mbp with me but now the iPad 2 is so great performance wise I just take the camera connection kit and my iPhone for for all picture taking and video and all my problems are solved. :)

With Netflix, web browsing that's so fast, games, movies, music, and navigation I swear the iPad 2 is a home run in 2011. Love it!!

2. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    are you able to import/edit video from a source other than an iPhone/iPod? Say, a Canon 5Dmk2?

3. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I meant to say the photos library not iPhoto.

I have connected a nikon d3 to my connection kit and it works flawless. I don't know about the mk2 5d but canon cameras are more supported than nikon and Sony! My tx7 Sony doesn't work however.

You can always take out the cf card and use a cf card reader connected to the USB connector. It works!!

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I have to agree that iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are a unbeatable combo for the moment.

Photo Studio
    Music Studio
    Movie Studio

5. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

You do need a powered USB card reader. You use a powered USB hub and it will work. Anything not powered won't work. Apple changed the power spec requirement from 100mA down to 20mA. Not even USB keyboards work without a powered source such as when it's connected to a powered USB hub.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've imported my Nikon D5000 photos to the iPad with the SD card reader adapter, and it worked well. The only thing is that I wasn't sure how to edit the imported videos in iMovie, or if it was even possible to do so. I can only trim the clips in the Photo app.

Oh and I never thought about connecting my iPhone to the iPad using the USB adapter to upload photos. That's neat :)

7. Mikee.Nu macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

You can with the original iPad so I assume you can with iPad 2. Great thing about it is that it actually takes your 5dmk2 raw files and provides with a quick jpeg preview of it.

So you're not actually previewing the raw files in photos app (which is good because it would be 100s of 20mb+ files)

Once on a computer you can then download the original RAW files.

8. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I am using the iPhone 4, iPad 1, iMovie, and a program to transfer photos and video using wifi or Bluetooth from the iPhone to the iPad. Paid $2.99 for the program and I don't need to buy/carry the Apple CCK.

9. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    Video from a DSLR? Editable in iMovie?

10. sigamy macrumors 65816

What's the name of the app?

11. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Photo Transfer is an app I use that works great. Transfers both photos and movies over wifi or bluetooth.

12. npinchot macrumors newbie

I was at my local Apple store yesterday about to purchase a camera connection kit in order to import photos & videos from my iPhone 4 to my iPad 2 and the store rep said it would work but advised against it, referring to people having "reset" and "restore" issues. When I asked for a little detail he said that people have had issues where the iPhone and iPad get "confused". I don't know what that means, but he suggested I just use iTunes to transfer the photos & videos. I figured I would give this a try before spending the $$ for the camera connection kit. Thoughts anyone?