Ipad 2 camera only works online for facetime?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xelaetaks, Mar 23, 2011.

1. xelaetaks macrumors member

I was thinking, the only way to use the cam as a webcam is with facetime??

I think it would be 10 times better if you can use the camera as a webcam on other sites too.

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't know for sure about the iPad 2, but the iPhone 4's camera can be used with other video services like Skype, Tango, etc.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You just need to wait for all the 3rd party developers to add support for the ipad 2. With the shortages, some devs may not even have a unit to test with yet.

4. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Would Skype be able to work on the iPad without an update? Has anyone tried it?

I would really like to see apps like Yahoo Messenger utilize the webcam feature.

5. rawlus macrumors 6502

skype works, but it is not an ipad optimized app at this time, just an iphone app - so it's the smaller screen size (you can 2x it, but that's it)

6. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Not ideal, but at least it's something. Thanks!

7. Jamie37211 macrumors regular

More apps will join in

It'll take a bit of time for iPad app devs to get on board. I could see Skype getting a dedicated iPad app out there. I also saw that WebEx for iPad now supports video, which will be helpful to me on the work side of things.

Just because the camera is not accessible through all related apps yet, you can't lay the blame on apple or the camera. Like someone posted, the 3rd party app devs have to step up.