iPad 2 Camera Quality?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rekhyt, Mar 6, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

How is the iPad 2 camera quality? Does it shoot full HD?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the specs are that it does 720p, so no it does not do full HD. Nor do we know how many megapixels the stills can be.

I suspect its closer to the iPod touch quality then the iPhone's camera quality.

3. Fireworld macrumors member

It has a VGA camera which equivalent to 0.9 mega pixel :(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Realistically do you need a 6mp camera on such a large device? Its not like you'll be taking it disney world to snap pictures of your vacations ;)

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

thats the front not the back.

6. blu3chip macrumors newbie

Realistically I want my iPad to at least take pictures as well as my iPhone 4.

5MP is very standard these days.

Maybe I will use the iPad to snap some pictures of some lectures slides; maybe some notes from the research boards; maybe my cat doing her weird licking thingy; I don't know, but if Apple decides to put a camera at the back of the iPad, I expect it to be at least 5MP (front facing camera is different, as it is primarily for video calling, so a lower resolution is understandable).

BlackBerry Playbook has a 5MP rear facing camera and a 3MP front facing camera.

Motorola Xoom also has a 5MP rear facing camera and a 2MP front facing camera.

7. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

It's probably going to suck I'm afraid. Note how they don't even mention that it's an auto-focus camera on the tech specs page over Apple.com. But on the iPhone 4 page they mention this.

Also, they only say you can touch to change exposure and whatnot instead of touching to focus. So, fixed focus low-res camera that won't be good enough for taking notes, scanning barcodes or anything else really.

Why would they do this to such an important device? The least they can do is match the iPhone 4 specs. As it is now many apps won't work on it and I'd have to carry a separate camera and camera connection kit with me to take decent shots of things. I intend to use the iPad at work, but this means I have to carry dongles and more devices with me!

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I don't want my iPad to "take pictures." I will use them for facetime though. Who in their right mind wants to hold up and iPad to take the family holiday portrait?

I guess your also mad your 5MP camera can't play games.

9. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

Why are you willing to settle for sub-par components on a 499+ USD device?

I can think of plenty of uses for a GOOD camera. I.e. for taking notes, taking pics of components and so on. I have to use a camera and note block quite often at work to take pictures of things and write down serial numbers, part numbers etc and then send this via email to people. Combining both in a portable device like the iPad would be perfect. Unfortunately, Apple decided to be cheap and that's no longer possible.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

They had to leave something to upgrade for iPad3 you know ;)

11. urkel, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  12. urkel, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

You mean FaceTime HD (broadcasted in stunning VGA quality)?
    Well who wants a family portrait with an iPhone or even a point and shoot?

The fact of it all is that A good photo is one part equipment one part opportunity. So if the iPad is the only camera on you at a specific moment, even at a family gathering, then why wouldnt you want it to be better than average?

Everything else about the iPad is high quality so why do people make excuses for the camera NOT to be?
    It depends. How much time did they spend on that cameras press conference talking about gaming? Because they spent a good portionof the iPad announcement convincing us that the iPad is an all-in-one media creation tool. So putting the industries worst camera in it contradicts the emphasis of iMovie, Photo apps or FaceTime HD

13. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'm trying to think back to the presentation. Did they show any examples of photos and/or videos taken from the iPad 2?