Ipad 2 Camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rickp1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rickp1 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Anyone know how many pixels is the ipad 2's camera.
    Reason I ask is because my iphone 4 takes better pictures than my ipad.

R.

2. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

That's because the iPhone has a better cameras - front and rear - than the iPad, even the newer ones. The iPad front and rear cameras are, essentially, a generation behind the iPhones.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I believe the iPad 2's rear camera is just under 1 megapixel.

0.92 to be exact I have read. Yes, hard to believe I know.

4. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

I swear sometimes I just don't get Apple's thinking. Why would they ever do something that stupid. They brag about having 2 cameras, using Facetime or Facedial, they talk about video, front and back, bla bla bla......but their camera just sucks ass!!!!!!

I love apple stuff, I mean I really like their stuff. I have a Macbook pro 13" that has put every windows machine I've ever used to shame, I have an iphone 4, an Ipad 2, apple tv, a 3rd gen ipod touch and I even have their wireless router with built in 1 terabyte of space for backups, so I'm familiar with their stuff. But even with all their successful stuff they always seem to drop the ball with the small details. It makes no sense!!!!!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!
    I just don't understand their mindset and decision making process sometimes.

5. tl01 macrumors 65816

For what do you need that camera? I personally have little use for it. It is the least important function of the iPad for me. The only time I use it is if my kids are doing something cute and my iPhone is out of reach while I have my iPad in hand.

6. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So do you feel they were wrong to increase the rear camera quality on the iPad 3, and they should of kept the 1mp unit on the rear?

8. tl01 macrumors 65816

No, I think the new camera is fine. I was surprised the OP was so worked up about the quality of the iPad camera. All sorts of question marks and exclamation points plus a few cuss words seems a bit over the top for a camera few people use.

I saw a guy use the iPad camera to take pics of cars at an auto show and it looked so strange. I could only assume he had meant to bring a regular camera vs use the iPad as a camera all day long.

9. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

Really... Over the top?!?!!?. Lets face it, it's not new technology and it's been implemented in other Apple devices, so for the price tag Apple is putting on this Ipads I see no reason why not to use the higher quality camera, especially after the way they bragged about the Ipad 2 having 2 cameras and all the neat things people could do with them.

Let me ask you honestly, do you not find it somewhat pathetic that the Ipad 2's camera isn't even 1 megapixel?

10. tl01 macrumors 65816

The way I see it... To keep the same price point you have to give and take. Get an ipad3.. With the retina display, larger battery etc... Leave out the fanciest camera. They have to draw the line at some point.

No.. I don't think it is terrible that the ipad2 has an almost 1 mp camera. I used that camera maybe twice before passing it down to my 6 year old. I'm not going to use an iPad camera for everyday stuff. Maybe I'd use it to take a photo of a note or recipe to e mail it.. But nothing special. I use my iPhone 4s or DSLR for real pics. If anything a better front camera would be ideal for me for my kids face timing my parents.

11. walie macrumors 6502a

Because it was marketed as being able to record 720p videos, NOT as a slightly-less-than 1 MP camera

12. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

You're right no doubt about it. It's just a bit disappointing I guess when I figured the iphone took better pics than my ipad2. Ironically that's how i noticed the difference, taking pictures of a document I needed in my ipad.
    Even then i still used my iphone to take the pic of the doc and emailed it to my ipad. I guess its' an OCD thing with me. :D