iPad 2 cannot send SMS via iPhone tethering after iOS 6 upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Calvinator666, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Calvinator666 macrumors member

After I have done the iOS 6 upgrade last night, I just could not send SMS from my iPad via tethering. The strange thing is, I still could surf websites and everything else. Only sending SMS does not work anymore!

I also like to mention that if I am using the iPad via WIFI connection, iMessage on my iPad works fine, and SMSes on all my 3 devices (iMac, iPad and iPhone) are synced together with no issues.

Anyone here encountering this same problem as well? I have been trying to troubleshoot it the whole day, but to no avail.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Where are you trying to SMS from your iPad? I hope it's not another phone number other than an iPhone's. You can only iMessage to other iOS devices.

3. Calvinator666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

Yes definitely sending to friends who also are on iMessage. Been using iMessage since the public Beta came out, and I have to say that all has been well and good until last night's iOS 6 upgrade.

iMessage on the iPad works just perfect when I am on WIFI, it only does not work when I tether it from my iPhone 4S. Both devices are already on iOS 6 and my iMac is also updated to 10.8.2.

When the iPad was on tethered connection, everything works the same; I could surf websites like any other day. The strange thing was that I just could not send SMSes!

4. Soundonthego macrumors newbie

No iMessageing from updated iPad 3

I'm experiencing the same exact problem when trying to send an iMessage from my newly updated iPad 3 while tethered to my iPhone 3GS (without current update). Every other Internet function works perfectly while tethered. It's only iMessage that doesn't work.

5. Calvinator666 thread starter macrumors member

This is getting ridiculously odd, isn't it??

I did try to use tethering on my wife's phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) to see if it was an isolated 3G tethering problem on my 4S. Turns out that when my iPad is tethered to her phone, it was the same exact problem. I am beginning to think that it had to be either the Bluetooth or just a nasty iMessage glitch after upgrading to iOS 6.

Prior to all that, I had tried almost all ways to troubleshoot. Deactivating and re-activating iMessage, signing out and re-signing in AppleID, Un-pairing and re-pairing both the iPhone and iPad, and even restoring iOS 6 on both devices as well. Pretty much nothing worked at this point.

It has been 4 days since the iOS 6 upgrade, and the problem still remains. This is in fact, the very first time that I felt pretty annoyed with an experience like this.

Any suggestions anyone????

6. Calvinator666 thread starter macrumors member

It seems I have found a "solution" for it.

I decided to use wifi tethering instead of connecting via Bluetooth, and iMessage on my iPad is working again. Still, I would not really consider this as a solution for the fact that iMessage on the iPad still does not work when connecting via Bluetooth tethering.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

Same problem here with my iPad 3. When i am tethered to iPhone i cant send or receive iMessages.

8. Calvinator666 thread starter macrumors member

Either there is bug in the Bluetooth on the iPad or there are seriously some issues with iMessage after iOS 6. And to be honest, iMessage really begins to feel unstable and I do get lags in receiving SMSes between all the devices that I have. So wifi tethering it is then.

9. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Little late to this thread, but I'm having the same issues with iPhone 4 and iPad 3 with Bluetooth tethering. I'll have to try that Wi-fi "solution" but have previously found that the wifi connection involves actually operating both devices to initiate the hotspot whereas with bluetooth I can just use the iPad to connect to the iPhone... maybe I'm just not doing it right.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Just did the update on my phone today and I can receive/send imessages on my ipad when I'm tethered via bluetooth. I haven't updated my ipad yet and I'm hoping that doesn't cause any issues.