iPad 2 Case/Cover UK based

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Chardleeder, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Chardleeder macrumors newbie

Chardleeder

Hi all, Hope you dont mind me starting a UK based thread. I've had my iPad 2 for 4 days now, and I'm now worried about scratching it up.

I brought a smart cover but nothing for the back.

Asked at the Apple store but they said no 3rd party cases for a while!

what are you guys using? any good suggestion? any that work with the SC? Seems there are a few out in the states now but...

Cheers

Chard

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

(Copied my post from another thread..)

PC world have a selection for ipad 2. I popped in there yesterday to have a look at the smart cover before picking up the one I'd reserved at argos - glad I did, I'm not convinced that they're all that good after trying one in store, they're kind of cool but not very practical.

They don't cover the back at all, so either you get a separate case for the back, or it inevitably gets covered in scratches. No protection for the sides + corners too. The magnets + automatic lock are great, but other than that it's a pretty thin + not great quality cover, for quite a lot of money. They forgot to put magnets on the back too, so when it's open it kind of hangs loose.

Also, when you roll them up to use as a stand, the soft microfibre surface is sitting on the table. It's going to pick up dust and stuff, and then when you close the screen it'll be pressing that dust/grit/whatever against the screen it's supposed to protect. You can roll it 'inside out' but it's a little awkward.

After trying that I got a targus case for the same price. It covers front + back with plenty of protection, and works more or less as well as the smart cover as a stand. It's slightly fiddly to open it as a stand, but not much worse than the smart cover. It's quite a bit thicker though of course. No magnets, so it's manual button pressing for me. I'm sure I can manage a single button. Maybe I can slip a small magnet into it somehow?

I think if you can wait a while, there will be 3rd party cases with magnets, but a bit more practical than apple's. Or maybe somebody will come up with something that protects the back/sides while you have a smart cover on the front. They could put some magnets in it to hold the cover to the back too.