iPad 2 charging ...

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snaps042, Jan 1, 2014.

1. snaps042 macrumors member

Hi,

My iPad2 doesn’t seem to be playing ball. Firstly, I am surprised that once the box was opened, the instructions for use had to be found online. Very hip.

I am charging the iPad with the USB charger supplied and into a wall socket. The battery icon says that 7% of power is left and has turned red, yet when I plug in the power, a small lightning icon appears to the right and the the battery icon flashes jumps left and right. So far, the plug has been attached for 9 minutes and yet the battery charge has gone down to 5%, the icons still flash and there is no sign of the battery level rising.

I have tried turning the iPad2 off (along with swiping the red bar at the top) but when I do, the moment I plug in the power connector, it springs back into life.

Yes, before you ask, there is juice coming from the wall socket.

This is only the 2nd time I have charged the machine from new and, quite frankly, the information on http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4060 could be so much better ... if only everything on that page happened like they expected it would.

Kind regards,

snaps

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

It has been a long time since I timed the charge length on an iPad 2 but it will take several hours. Also if you are using it at the same time it will slow the charge and increase the time it takes. It is normal for it to be on while it is charging.

Because I am on the pad constantly I keep one on the charger and the other one in use. My wife uses hers less and just puts it on charger overnight.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You can find the manuals you need at http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad. It's quite common to obtain documentation online. I can't recall if it was preloaded in my iBooks library when I purchased my iPad 2, but I know that each time I've updated the iOS, I just download a new copy to learn more about the new iOS.

Is your battery indicator green during the charge? If so, that's all that counts because it's charging.

If it is not green, then there's an issue with either the cable, the power adapter, or the wall outlet.

4. snaps042 thread starter macrumors member

Aspasia,

Many thanks for your reply and for the link to the iPad manual. I’ve printed it out. Very useful.

I have narrowed my problem down to the 2-part snap-together Apple supplied adapter. I have a €5 plug made by a 3rd party which seems to work. When the iPad is on, and with the cheaper adapter, a small ‘lightning’ icon appears to the right of the battery indicator - the battery icon, itself, turns green.

However, switching the iPad off (swiping the red bar at the top of the screen) and then connecting it to the charge does not fill me with confidence as I have to switch it on again but not unlock the screen in order to see the % indicated in the top third of the screen.

Thanks again,

Snaps

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  6. snaps042 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you again Aspasia.

I’ll get it replaced ...