iPad 2 Concept

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRance, Oct 16, 2010.

1. iRance macrumors regular

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It looks pretty nice, but there is absolutely no way that will happen. The iP4 is easy enough to shatter, just imagine that the size of an iPad.

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Hate it. I've never liked the white iPhone either but I'm sure there are millions of people out there who disagree with me.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Ugly as sin. They made a big iPhone 4 and then called it concept? This is no concept. This is garbage.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It looks even more like a digital photo frame.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I don't like it. It's an accident waiting to happen with all that glass..

7. xyanide14 macrumors newbie

obviously they are going to add a camera to it.

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I think people are forgetting the differences in how iPhones and iPads are handled. iPads are not used as "freely" and in the precarious situations that an iPhone is. I bet if we polled iPad and iPhone users, the number of dropped or close-calls for iPhones would be 10x that of iPads. Perhaps a glass back isn't so farfetched.

9. sineplex macrumors 6502

This should be great for a 7-inch version ipad - I'd buy one for sure, but anything larger is a bit dangerous imo.

10. SA22C macrumors regular

I doubt that apple will go away from the aluminum construction of the iPad. The iPhone went with a glass back to solve the problem of scratching on the plastic iPhone 3G/3GS, which isn't a factor for the iPad. My guess is that iPad 2 will have a front-facing camera but not much else in the way of new features.

11. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Yup I agree. The only thing I'm certain it will have is a front facing camera. They might upgrade the ram and change the design a little bit (and I mean a very little bit) but that's about it.

12. ninjax00 macrumors newbie

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Given the situation with how long it take apple to release an Iphone 4 in white, I will not hold my breathe. You are better off with asking for pink, blue, orange and green colors.

14. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Thats not happening. Glass back just makes the device more fragile, slippery.

I believe they should continue with the aluminum backing or switch to the liquid metal, but we won't see that until the 3rd gen.

What they need to do with the iPad is to make it lighter and less fragile. I'm starting to get sick of having devices that I can't enjoy to the fullest because of myself feeling worried it might fall. I don't like cases. I just want a naked device without a case but be able to drop from a good distance without breaking or damaging.

The trick is to get it thin, and much lighter.

15. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I think you need a bowling ball dude, not an :apple:toy.

16. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Lol, it's just the frightning feeling you get when holding the device without a case that I hate.

Apple understands this but technology isn't there where they can make the device so thin and very light where if it were to fall from your hands it won't crack.

They will do this. but not until 5-8 years.

17. Aero26 macrumors regular

Ridiculously...ughh. No comment. That would be the biggest design shame in the history of Apple.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

There are three things in that concept.

1) White. Personally I hate that. The white really accentuates the thickness of the bevel. I agree that the bevel needs to be that thick in order to get a good thumb grip on the device without pressing the screen (I often hold my device with just one hand in the middle of the bottom edge so my thumb is taking most of the force (torque) when holding the device and needs a good grip) but they certainly don't want to visually emphasise the thickness of the bevel.

2) The iPhone4-like flat front and back sandwiched in a metal band. I really like this (much discussed already) concept and hope that the next iPad does this. There is less wasted volume in an essentially rectangular design so it could be slightly thinner while maintaining the same battery volume.

3) The choice of material for the flat back. Although most people just assume that it would be glass because that is how the iPhone 4 is, there's no reason why it has to be. The antennae would be on the outside so it doesn't need to be RF-permeable so a decent quality carbon fibre would look nice, be massively durable (F1 drivers get out of their cars and walk away after 150 mph crashes partly thanks to carbon fibre monocoques) and be lighter than aluminium.

If it was black, with a carbon fibre or similar back, then it should be lighter and thinner than the current iPad and look good; I'd want one.

- Julian

19. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

+1

same design as iPhone without the glass back, carbon fibre sound like a good choice. thinner, lighter. I'd also would want one.

20. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I don't like the white version. Would be cool though if they had the nano colours but the front looks really off like with the white so unless they make the screen like a shade of orange then that probably won't happen. Awesome to have an orange screen though thinking about it.

21. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Orange? Thats a random color to choose from.

Must be your favorite color.

I personally wouldn't like a color like that as it's too distracting.

I personally love black because of the sleek, sexy, and professional look it gives. And it doesn't take you away from the screen.

But it would be nice in the future for Apple to offer a few other colors. I just believe we won't see orange as Apples color choice offer.

22. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

23. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

So in other words, it's exactly the iPad, but white?

24. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Isn't carbon fiber uber expensive? I can only imagine how much it would cost to make the rather large back of the ipad out of it.

25. iRance thread starter macrumors regular

Attached Files: