iPad 2 constantly showing location services on

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lionqueen, Apr 20, 2011.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Today when I was using my iPad, I noticed that location services were on - you know, the little arrow up top, next to the battery indicator. I'm used to it only being on when I'm using something that uses it, like the camera, maps, yelp, ect. Long story short, I exited out of every single app (by double clicking the home button and xing out any active apps), and it was still there. Ok, I hadn't updated to the latest update, so I figured I'd do that and see if it helps. Just done it, and the location services arrow is STILL there. I also tried turning off cellular data - no difference.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it normal to have it there all the time now, or what? Besides the vaguely Orwellian worry that I'm being "watched", I worry that it'll draw battery power needlessly.

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Have you gone into the settings and turn everything off there? The first thing I do when I got my ipad was go into the settings went through each listing (general, location, wi-fi. sarfari, About, etc) and and turned everything off. Then when I want to use the wi-fi I go back into settings and turn it on. When done turn it off. Usually once or twice a day I also double click on the home button and exit out of all the apps I have used. Some of them work better if you do that rather than leave them on.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would turn location services off. Also in that settings menu you can see all the apps that have used your location recently.

4. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it - it was the Crackle App. As soon as I disallowed location services for it, the arrow disappeared. allowed it - the arrow popped back up.

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

6. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I'd just leave it off all the time. I only allow my location to be used for a couple apps. Also why does Crackle need your location at all?

8. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea, but the app works without it. I leave location services on because i use it- maps, camera app, yelp and a few others- and i don't like having to go manually turn it on or off all the time :)

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I meant I leave it on, but only for select apps.

10. cwerdna macrumors 6502

11. cole01 macrumors 6502

The same thing has happened to me before and continued to show the arrow even after closing all apps in the task switching tray and didn't go away until I rebooted. That arrow icon makes me paranoid when I know it shouldn't be on.....

Must be a new bug brought along with 4.3.x