iPad 2 Craigslist Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphone joe, May 24, 2012.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

I'm thinking of buying an iPad 2 from craiglist. When I meet the guy what should I look for to make sure everything is ok? He claims it's in mint condition. Thanks.

2. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

If it were me, there would be no doubt. It would be checked to see if it was mint. At the end of the day, you're the one that's doing him a favour by buying it off him so he has the cash towards an iPad 3 ;)

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

I totally agree and if it's presented in anything other than clean condition that would make me question how it might have been taken care of. Unless it's a killer deal I would suggest a refurb from Apple. It comes with a new case and battery and the OP gets a 1 year warranty.

4. Reidan macrumors member

I have heard many stories of people being ripped off via Craigslist.

Use common sense. Check to make sure it works properly. Test speakers, test the switches (home button, volume up/down and rocker switch) Take a pair of ear buds to check the head phone jack. Be suspicious if the battery is dead so you cant test it. If the box is sealed and, do not give him any cash until you open it to verify there is an iPad inside and not just a box with a brick! If it is in some kind of case, remove it from the case and visually inspect the entire iPad for damage, dings, scratches, etc. Plug in the charger to see if the unit shows that it does charge. (this tests both the charger and the charging circuit inside of the iPad)

And be wary of someone looking to rob you. Don't meet in a secluded area. Take someone with you, preferably someone large and mean looking. Hide the cash in your car until you come to an agreement, then retrieve the money from the hiding spot.

Good Luck