ipad 2 D.O.A.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boynigel, Oct 8, 2011.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

brand new ipad 2. hooked it up to my intel imac running snow leopard to set it up, but itunes doesn't see the ipad. tried a different cable, same results. hooked it up to my old G4 running tiger, same results. running itunes 10 on the imac, itunes 7 on the G4. as an added note, i plugged the cable into the computer itself, not a usb hub. the ipad DOES come on, but it appears to be useless until i can set it up w/itunes. disappointing.

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

What iTunes do you have for snow leopard? Also I wouldn't consider it DOA since it turns on.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Does it sit at the "Connect to iTunes to activate" page? I guess you could try a hard reset. Also worth restarting your mac.

5. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

as mentioned in original post, iTunes 10. if it doesn't work, it's DOA to me. sorry for the confusion.

----------

no, all it does upon power-up is it briefly shows the itunes icon/logo w/an arrow pointing to it. the screen goes black shortly thereafter. i do see the battery level logo up in the upper right, but it doesn't show the lightening bolt symbol to show that it's charging. it does everything i've mentioned above whether it's hooked up to the computer or not. i've tried powering down the computer and the ipad, but still nothing.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

In which case, it definitely sounds dead to me. Get it replaced at a genius bar.

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Have you tried charging it for an hour (or more) before you plug it into the computer? Or are you already happy that the battery has got a good charge already? My iPad doesn't charge when it is plugged in to the computer, (according to the battery indicator). In practice, it does actually charge, but only very slowly, and only when it is not being used. I think this is the case for all iPad 2 models according to other threads I've read on here.

8. Ashwood11, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

You've stated your using iTunes 10. My iTunes is version 10.4.1 but it is for Mac computers running Leopard. I suggest you do a software update to make certain you have the latest version for the computer and operating system you have. I believe Snow Leopard requires a different version than mine.

I checked the version under About iTunes on mine. In big bold letters it says Version 10. However, if you read the small scrolling print it gives you a more complete number like 10.4.1.

I also second the advise to make sure your iPad is fully charged. Use the wall adaptor that came with your iPad.