iPad 2 dead pixel suddenly appeared - what to do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by felixen, Mar 26, 2011.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Only got it yesterday and it was all good. Just now I noticed a blue dead pixel pop up. Can I fix it myself or do I have to return it when they get new ones home?

Cheers

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

1 dead pixel is within normal limits. You may get a replacement, you may not - it's within acceptable standards. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The iPad must have 3 or more dead pixels before they will replace, some people do get lucky and get a replacement with just 1 dead pixel, but you are within spec if you have under 3 (according to Apple).

[​IMG]

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If they won't replace it, return it for a refund and buy another one.

5. LixLev macrumors regular

I also have a stuck pixel which I could see as soon as I turned the iPad on. Originally I was just going to live with it, but the more I use it, the more I keep staring at the pixel, especially when watching videos. I've made a genius appointment tomorrow to see what they say. If they replace it that's great, but if not I reckon I'll just live with it. It is annoying though when you spend a lot of money on something and it isn't up to the standard that you feel it should be.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I had 1 dead pixel on the iPad 1st gen. The Apple store replaced it. If they don't replace just return it for a full refund.

7. LixLev macrumors regular

Does anyone know if they keep any iPads in the event of having to do replacements?

8. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I had two dead pixels on my iPad 2 recently. I brought it in to the Genius Bar and the guy said it had to be 3 or more, so I said, well, I just got this so I'll just return it then. He then agreed to order a replacement. They didn't have any in stock so they put in a request. Either way, I got my new one and all is fine. That said, Apple is pretty good with replacing stuff, especially an iPad that is so new. Take it in and get a new one. It's your money, you shouldn't have to deal with dead pixels so early after you got the iPad 2. Just my opinion.

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

The replaced mine. 1 burnt pixel is one too many IMO. Replace it or get a refund.

10. rovex macrumors 65816

What exactly does a dead pixel look like? I'm not sure how to differentiate dead pixels between stuck (which are green) pixels...

11. BlondeLocks macrumors member

^^^ I would like to know this too. What does it look like?

12. Jaelthas macrumors newbie

13. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I tried turning off the iPad for a few hours and when I turned it back off the blue dot was gone. So whether my pixel was dead or stuck I dont know, but im glad I won't have to return my iPad since doubt I could get a new new one soon

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Been trying to get an answer to this as well...

15. rovex macrumors 65816

16. LixLev macrumors regular

Good to hear mate. Thought I would update everyone on my situation and my fantastic experience at the genius bar.

I showed the genius my pixel problem which didn't look as bad as yesterday. It was quite minor but he saw it and said if it bothered me he would happily swap it for a new one. He got a brand new one out the back but it had dust under the screen which he was very apologetic about and went and got another new one which upon inspection was absolutely fine. He swapped it out and apologised for any trouble caused.

I know we often bitch about apple on here, but experiences like this are why I stay loyal.

17. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

yes. yes they do

18. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Agree

...screw the policy if your within the return period....

The dead pixel will bother u always.

19. felixen, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh mine came back. Now it's there sometimes, other times it's gone. Very weird. I just called the store and they said I should stop by tomorrow and they MIGHT send it in. This means I will have to wait for a while to get a new one. That's horrible, but I definitely want it fixed. Nothing more irritating than having your beautiful screen ruined by a shining black dot :(

EDIT: I have noticed it only appears on black springboard wallpapers. Also when viewing a black photo in the photo app. But if I load a completely black image in safari I don't see it. Sounds like it is a little software related? Any chance a restore could fix it?

20. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

I had a speck of dust under the glass and a dead pixel and they are replacing it. No replacement stock though so they placed an order for one.

21. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you have to turn it in right away so you are iPad-less until the new one comes, or can you keep your current one for a while?