iPad 2 dead

Discussion in 'iPad' started by capitaine, May 9, 2011.

1. capitaine macrumors newbie

capitaine

This morning I woke up to find that my iPad 2 was in an endless boot cycle. Played a few games on it the night before and it was running fine. Wasn't on the charger. It seemed to be booting up, then crashing without showing the lock screen. Tried a soft reset, didn't do anything. Plugged it in, but iTunes would only recognize it for about 3 seconds.

So I did a hard reset and attempted to restore. Downloaded the new 4.3.3 firmware, and initially it was frozen at the lock screen, so I did a soft reset. After that, I got onto the home screen and went to check to see if it installed correctly, and here's what I got:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62636578@N07/5703114606/in/photostream

Every time it reset it was something new - if I tried to flip it it would shut down while it was switching the orientation. If I opened safari, it wouldn't load anything and freeze, then reboot. In some cases it even did the grey shade screen that Macs do when there's a kernal panic before it tried rebooting again.

On the next boot up, here's what happened:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62636578@N07/5702546059/in/photostream/

Tried restoring it about 3 more times, even getting the .ipsw manually to make sure the download wasn't screwed up. I tried plugging it in to itunes in this state just for the hell of it and it gave me the option to set it up or restore from backup, doing either one froze both the iPad and iTunes.

Just seems like a broken firmware, but the fact that it is unfixable tells me that somethings fried on the hardware end.

I waited for the thing for about a month to ship, and only had the thing for a month. No jailbreak, pretty much babied it. Kinda ridiculous.

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Sorry to hear :(.
    **** happens, but guarantee covers you, so lighten up.

3. capitaine thread starter macrumors newbie

capitaine

I know, just don't know how long it's gonna take for them to replace it. been using it for taking notes in class as well as all the reading:(

also figured i'd post to see if anyone has had a similar experience

but thanks

4. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Not fun, especially if you've looked after it.

Like the last poster said though, it's under warranty - so just take it back and get a new shiny one.

5. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

It looks like a defective graphic chip. I think you will need to contact Apple, which will replace your iPad with a new one. Good luck!

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

The Apple Stores have units on had to replace defective iPads. Call Apple CAre and make an appointment to take it to an Apple Store and you might not have to wait for a new one.

7. capitaine thread starter macrumors newbie

capitaine

Well, it was exactly what maxap said - a defective graphics chip.

Went in there yesterday and after an hour of waiting (they were behind on genius bar appts) I walked out of there with a new one.

Still curious tho as to why it burnt out in the first place. Any thoughts?

8. rworne macrumors 6502

Yeah, ***** happens. Not everything is perfect. My original iPad (launch model of 1st gen) would freeze randomly only while playing videos. It's annoying, but I found Apple's support response more than adequate.

The over the counter exchange is way better than having to send it in for 6-8 week for repair.

EDIT:
    Funny, I censored my comment and MR censored my censoring...