iPad 2 digitizer replacement

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macgato54, Oct 11, 2014.

1. macgato54 macrumors newbie

Apple, say you break your glass frame with your son's picture in it, why, you would unhook the little glass holders and put in a new piece that you bought to fit. Translate this to the ipad, not exactly but enough to make it easy to replace digitizer replacement glass where you're not fighting adhesive that NASA developed to hold heatshield tiles. I gave it a shot to replace the digitizer on my son's ipad2 and now the power button doesn't work, a fuse, ribbon cable damaged, who knows? The Genius Bar of course....more revenue for Apple!
    Make a flanged frame that fits in with set screws nicely concealed on the sides, comes out, replace digitizer and cable, 5 minutes later, you power on, back to Minecraft, etc.
    I expect better design from Apple, Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave over this adhesive, unless of course they used it on the bottom of his coffin.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What the hell?

All iPads have been designed the same way. You botched a repair (the iPad digitiser isn't that hard to replace - and the power button has nothing to do with the glue!) and want to talk about a dead person?

You messing up your repair isn't Apple's fault.

Oh, FYI - watch this video. Do you notice something? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqY01giPM-k

3. macgato54 thread starter macrumors newbie

touche

Oh, I'm admitting I botched it but I'm a designer and know when something is not easily accessible for repair. If the glass was as well designed, it wouldn't break, again, get a NASA window design for the front ipad glass, so a repair is almost never needed. My 12 yo son just nicked it with a ceramic mug and it cracked it. Saying all ipads are designed the same is not the answer for progress. I'm an admirer of Steve Jobs, as I type on my Yosemite G3 Blue and White, and believe he would agree with me.

4. macgato54 thread starter macrumors newbie

ipad 2 update

Just so people know what I went through on this digitizer screen replacement.....I thought I had botched my repair because it didn't power up, so I make a Genius?Bar appt. at my local Apple store and he says "Sorry, you're a diy'er so we won't touch it". I get home and following an apple discussion on this matter, someone said "hold down the power button and the home button for 12 secs.". I was just about to give up when the apple logo shows up, then the desktop, Hallalujah, I had done it, hadn't botched the repair and my son was so happy to get it back....he had been crying 2 hr.s prior. I hadn't owned an ipad and I want to thank those mac users out there who helped me on this one, only hoping this thread can help another dad or mom out there who dares to fix this screen from adhesive Hell!

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The iPad 2 was introduced by Jobs personally...

Also, the iPad is very easy to repair, if you have the actual Apple tools to fix it.

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Yep go ahead and blame Apple for your own fault. Perfectly logical and reasonable. :rolleyes:

7. macgato54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not blaming anyone.....

I love apple products but suggestions to make repairs easier to me makes sense especially when the front is glass, THAT BREAKS TOO EASY!!!

8. asmith406 macrumors member