iPad 2 Dock and Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ukwildcat, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Anyone know if the iPad 2 will fit in the apple iPad 2 dock with the smart over on? Thanks.

2. zoman504 macrumors regular

Why wouldn't it? The "smart cover" only covers the front, the dock connects at the bottom and supports the back of the iPad.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Have you actually looked at the new dock for the iPad 2? OP actually has a legitimate question. The new dock has a different design from the original--looks like it actually sits down into a groove which actually might prevent a tight fit with a smart cover still attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very helpful--really helped the discussion.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Even if it doesn't fit when the iPad is on the dock, the Smart Cover goes on-and-off so easily anyway that it's a moot point unless one doesn't want the iPad sitting around naked on the dock. This is not like having to wrestle the thing in-and-out of a case each time one wants to dock it....

5. zoman504 macrumors regular

This. If not, just take it off lol, that's the point of it right? All kidding aside, my guess is NO, it will not fit the ipad 2 with the cover on it. The iPad 1 dock didnt work with the official ipad case, so apparently apple could care less if you wanted to use both of their products together.

6. veryangrybirds macrumors member

think the smart cover is for a landscape orientation. the dock was made for portrait orientation so it is best to snap off the smart cover when you use the dock.

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Would get the first generation dock. The smart cover should not obstruct it at all. There are no issues with the iPad 2 fitting in the first generation dock from what I understand..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rxtiger macrumors member

for anyone like me that has ordered an ipad2 dock, have you seen any movement on shipping? I can't find the dock in stores so I ordered on 3/11, but still showing not shipped. Just curious.

9. specialk0449 macrumors member

The original iPad dock will work with the iPad2 with the smart cover covering the front. If you fold the smart cover on to the back side it will not fit properly in the dock.

My Apple Store did not have any iPad2 docks either. They tested the dock for me before I left the store.

10. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Is it wobbly in this dock?

11. specialk0449 macrumors member

Not all. It feels secure to me.

12. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Mhmm. Now I have to decide why I need it and if I would use it.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I plan on using the Speck sleeve cover and the iPad2 dock would not work for me. I hated the iPad 1 dock!