iPad 2 dock connector wear and tear

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pcgolfer85, Feb 25, 2012.

1. pcgolfer85 macrumors member

pcgolfer85

I had my first iPad 2 replaced because of this issue. I am referring to the dock connector itself on the iPad 2. Both iPad 2's that I have owned have developed slight wear (scratches) on the left side of the dock connector itself (not the metal on the iPad 2)

Has anyone else noticed this with their iPad 2 as well? My biggest concern is that over time the wear could cause the dock connector to stop functioning.

Could everyone post a quick pick of the dock connector on their iPad 2 so that I can compare?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is normal. All iDevices with a dock connector have this wear. Nothing to worry about.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am surprised they replaed your pad for that. Both my iPad 1 and 2 has them. No failure and they ar both used daily from launch.

4. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

This is what I am referring to:

[​IMG]

The wear and tear is light now, but it got worse with my first iPad 2.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Completely normal. My iPod Touch 1G has that and still hasn't stopped working. I'm sure there are iPod 3G's that have that really bad and still work like new. Nothing to worry about.

6. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

Thanks Intell for your feedback.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Like I said, all Apple dock connectors have this wear. Even after the first use of the dock connector, it starts to show.

8. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

9. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

I guess I was just looking for a few other opinions. Thanks anyway.

10. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

Why are my posts getting down-voted? Is it not OK to ask for other people's opinions?

11. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

To be fair your down-voted posts bear a striking resemblance to bumping... ;)

And seriously, if you're bothered by a -1 you probably already care too much about people's opinions...

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Asking for opinions is fine.

Receiving three replies saying it's normal and not an issue, then bumping your thread repeatedly in search of a dissenting view is a the likely source of downvotes. The lack of a different response is a response in itself.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what issue? I mean really.

How would you be concerned over this?

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I hope that in the future Apple replaces the 30-pin with something that is less "sticky". The 30-pin requires quite a bit of force to disconnect from the device, which I've always found counter to Apple's typical elegance.

Any of the Docks from Apple are completely worthless due to the fact that device wants to cling desperately to the 30-pin. You end up picking up the entire dock unless you place one of your hands on it to hold it down. Every other device I have owned has a nice sliding feel to connectors. Apple should do the same (maybe in MagSafe form?).

15. pcgolfer85 thread starter macrumors member

pcgolfer85

The only reason I'm concerned is that I don't want the slow destruction of my dock connector to occur. Oh well, I guess I wasn't too concerned about it I honestly was looking for some discussion. I'm good to go now. :D

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Here's three datapoints:

I've owned an ipad2 from late March 2011 until recently (sold in anticipation of new version.) I plugged it into the charger typically once per day. No apparent issues/destruction beyond the usual slight wear created early on.

iPhone 3GS refurb acquired around May 2010 and plugged into power every day as well. Currently in the hands of a family member. No dock connector problems.

iPhone 4 owned since July 2011 and also currently in the hands of another family member and same daily usage. No issues with the dock connector.

I doubt you'll see any problems.

17. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Use it regularly and without intent to damage the device. You'll be fine.