iPad iPad 2 downgrade from 8.1.1 to 6.1.3?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chuckd83, Dec 12, 2014.

1. chuckd83 macrumors regular

I'm sure others have had this problem, but ever since iOS 7, my iPad 2 has lagged. I've done updates due to all the promises of "fixes", but it still lags...even 8.1.1 which was released to specifically address the issue. I've restored and it doesn't fix anything.

Any way with the current jailbreak to downgrade all the way to 6.1.3?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I wish! I'd love to run 6.1.3 on my iPad2.
    But alas, it is never to be…

6.1.3 and the iPad2 are parted lovers, never to reunite their kindled love.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nope. Downgrading went bye bye with iOS 6.

4. Watermann macrumors member

@iH8sn0w

Maybe there is still hope

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/c...w_in_talks_to_push_ifaith_20_with_a5_support/

don't know the reason is not released yet

I'd love to have ios 6 again in my ipad mini, the ios I bought my ipad with, the ios on the picture of the box. I'd buy a mini retina but ios8 on that is not optimized at all yet

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I just downgraded to iOS 1.0 on my iPhone 6. Going backwards brings back all those cool features I loved... like no app store, no siri, no LTE.. yeah everyone should downgrade to years-old iOS versions because it makes sooooo much sense.... rolling my eyes.

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

It actually does make sense when those versions run so much better on older devices... And ios 6 has class unlike ios 7...

7. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I think the previous poster's response was a little short sighted as devices like the 4S and iPad 2 do struggle under iOS 8...but you're talking about class? Seriously?

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Doesn't make much sense, especially since many apps won't even run on iOS 6 anymore... it's like saying Windows 95 was better so we should all just stick with that. It's progress and you can either keep up, or stick with the old and watch the world pass you by. ;-)

----------

When I see someone with an iPhone 4S, or iPad 2, to me that says a lot about their class, but I don't think that's what you meant. LOL

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ohhh, I don't know.

When I was on iOS 6.1.2 every app that was on there for iOS 6 ran. I don't need the latest versions of apps for what I do with my phone. The app for Facebook and Messenger in iOS 6 worked just fine as did all the other apps that iOS 7 left behind.

Now that I'm on iOS 7.1.2 my worst fears of being on iOS 7 are realized.

My jailbreak has mitigated a lot of crap from iOS 7, but I still hate this crap iOS. If I could get back to iOS 6 I would. I'm only on iOS 7 now because I had to replace my device.

BTW, my wife is still using 6.0.1 and she has zero complaints. All of her apps are still working.

10. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Similar to the iPhone 4 and 4S as well as the iPad 2, for computers with very outdated hardware, I would highly recommend Windows 95. Likewise, Apple supports legacy app downloads so if you were to be able to get back to iOS 6, you would be able to download the latest version of any app that was able to run on the given firmware.

11. oldmacs macrumors 68040

All of the iPad 2s in my family ran iOS 7.1 pretty much flawlessly. My Dad stayed with iOS 6 right up to September this year when I upgraded him to iOS 7.1 to avoid iOS 8 and it actually semi improved performance.

iOS 8 on the iPad 2 is slower yes, but it also has a lot of security patches + useful new features. It does not make your iPad 2 unusable (If you turn off some settings - e.g. background app update, auto installing updates etc).

Also iOS 8.2 apparently improves performance on 5 devices.

12. Watermann macrumors member

ios 8 on ipad2 is ok, the problem is with safari, slower than ios7, white squares when scrolling...

I have ios 8.2 beta 2 and I don't see any improvement

13. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Well thats a shame….

Some people were saying there was a noticeable improvement generally around the OS and specifically in Safari on iOS 8.2 Betas.