iPad 2 downgrade from 8 to 7

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by badilla, Oct 11, 2014.

1. badilla macrumors newbie

I updated my Ipad 2, model A1396 few weeks ago to IOS 8 and is working very poorly, lets say in general very slow.
    I am trying to downgrade to IOS 7, and according to most of the information online I need to download and ipsw file and then go on Itunes clicking alt and update software. All good there, but when I choose the file and Itunes tries to install the software it says that my device could not be updated. "this devide isnt elegible for the requested build".
    I thing could be the problem is that I have the wrong Ios file for this ipad, but I have tried few of them with the same result.
    Any ideas or anybody who knows the exact file I need?
    So far I had try
    iPad2,2_7.0_11A465_Restore.ipsw
    iPad2,2_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw
    iPad2,2_7.0.2_11A501_Restore.ipsw
    iPad2,2_7.1.2_11D257_Restore.ipsw

Thanks,

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

The reason you are getting that error message is because Apple stopped signing/authorizing iOS 7. So unfortunately you are now stuck with iOS 8.

4. badilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

And there you go. Thank you Rodster for the input.

5. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Sadly it's impossible. My mom has an iPad 2 and the other day she asked me if she needs to update and I told her hell no! It's really a shame you can't downgrade.

6. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

they should of dropped iOS 8 for iPad 2. Hell even the 4S has 1GB of ram.

but then again the iPod 5th Gen works ok, i assume its because of the faster processor

7. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

^

That's not correct. The 4s has 512mb as well. They should have both been dropped.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Neither should be dropped. The iPad 2 has 29 percent share of the installed base of iPads (Plus the iPad Mini which is like a shrunken down iPad 2 has 20 Percent of the market share) and the iPhone 4S has 20 percent share of the installed base of iPhones.

Apple sold the iPad 2 up to March this year and the iPhone 4S till September and still sells the iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5th Gen so Apple should be responsible for that an ensure that iOS 8 is optimised for A5 devices.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I discovered early on that it wasn't always the smartest thing to immediately download the latest iOS updates - or even update apps immediately - at least not without waiting a bit and reading the reviews of those who boldly went before me.

That's why my iPad 2 is still efficiently running iOS 7.1 and that's where it will stay. I will update my iPod Touch 5 whenever I get around to it, just out of curiosity.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Relax, ipad-2-users-stuck-on-iOS-8, 8.1 will make things better. They fixed some performance issues in it.

11. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

iPod 5 Is ok,

but i have to retest my damn app FULLY because of the lack of ram.

God why the F did they give it only 512 MB of ram, was 1 GB so had to put in?

12. Soks macrumors newbie

Soks

I just updated my iPad 2 to IOS 8 a couple of days ago...and needless to say - I'm NOT happy with it. It runs slow as hell.

It's completely unacceptable that Apple doesn't allow downgrading.

Instead I'm left with an iPad, that I was happy with a week ago, but gives me a sour taste in my mouth every time I use it now. Which is daily.

****ers!

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'll need to wait for 8.1 as the beta testers say it improves performance.