iPad 2 dropped on the floor!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by App Downloader, Apr 30, 2011.

1. App Downloader macrumors member

I just got my iPad 2 yesterday, and today I accidentally didn't put the iPad correct position, and it fell on the floor (it was about 1.5 feet from the wood floor), and the aluminum edges on the side where the volume buttons are had slight raised parts, and the very edges of the aluminum near the screen were kind of raised.

God I'm so sad! :(

I've always been the kind o; person that cares a lot about his things, esp. Apple products, and feel very bad of doing this.:(

2. MrLeQuack macrumors newbie

I know how you feel!I dropped my iphone 4 and the glass on the back broke!It's sad, they are really nice devices, but you must be really careful with them!

3. App Downloader thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna buy some awesome game that uses the iPad's full potential like Infinity Blade or N.O.V.A. 2. HD or Real Racing 2 HD etc. To make me feel better!;)

4. rworne macrumors 6502

You should feel better. Look at this:

Attached Files:

5. App Downloader thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that's all I can say!

6. roketjack macrumors newbie

roketjack

Lulz.

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean, it's a terrible feeling. You may not be as OCD as me, but I check for any imperfections in my devices almost regularly when handling them.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might try getting it swapped out for a new one for a discounted price or for free if the damage is very bad. Some people have reported success with getting their damaged iPad/iPhone swapped out at the Apple store. If you believe this might be an option for you to try, just be honest and it might also help noting any preexisting defects you've noticed on your iPad. Tell the genius you just bought it yesterday and ask for options on repair or replacement, but don't expect a free swap; you might get lucky.

Otherwise, think of it as battle scars and be thankful that it was not damaged any worse: you are very lucky.

-C

Sent from my iPad

8. rworne macrumors 6502

Depending on the type of damage, it's $200-300 to fix these issues. Even in my case, it's about $300-400.

Apple is replacing mine though. It met its demise through special circumstances.

9. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about the fall, thankfully it sounds like the damage is cosmetic. RR2hd always makes me feel better, especially when I'm at the wheel of the Lotus Evora.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

11. caubeck macrumors 6502

Mine fell in a case that leaves two corners naked. It landed directly on one of the corners, of course, onto the floor of an elevator. That corner of the iPad is now flattened slightly.

I don't notice it at all, I'd have to feel or look at each corner right now to see which one it is. But I felt terrible for the first twelve hours or so.

Having it in a case hides the blemish, too.

12. App Downloader thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Now I'll definitely be at least getting infinity blade for my iPad 2!!!

13. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. I guess the only thing you can do is take it to the Apple store and see what they are willing to do. I have to say most times I thought I would have to purchase a new iPhone or iPad I ended up getting a replacement. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

14. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Just looking at those pics shock me enough because you are a member on MacRumors and do not own an iPhone.

15. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Thank God it's wood flooring then.
    Any harder (concrete) and it would become a goner.
    Be optimistic :D

16. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

17. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Haha I noticed the same. He does own an iPad though. I guess its acceptable. :p

18. rworne macrumors 6502

Actually everyone considers me to be the highest of the high tech geeks at my high-tech job. Most are surprised to find out I do not carry a cell phone at all and prefer to carry the 3G iPad and do mostly email & use Skype in a pinch.

But no, in this case it was my wife who wounded the iPad - it still works fine. This damage was caused by a hardwood floor, with the iPad hitting the floor directly on the edge with the port.

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Ahh... The wife. This explains everything! They're always trying to hurt our beloved gadgets. I blame it on jealousy!

20. r2fa3l macrumors regular

1. tell them it arrived like that (if purchased by mail)
    2. blame backlight bleeding and apple will replace it (if there's only dents, apple doesn't care much as long as its not cracked screen/lcd they'll replace)
    3. Buy a new one :D

21. ethics101 macrumors regular

Go return it...

22. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Sorry to hear that, but this is why I keep asking... :(

When are Apple mobile devices going to comply with 810F requirements so that minor accidents like this don't wreck the whole device? The iPad should have been designed to satisfy at least a 3-foot drop onto concrete. There are systems available today that can do better than that, and while in operating condition. A fall of less than 2 feet shouldn't even be something to think about.

23. Vert1go macrumors newbie

Why would he do that? That would not be ethical at all. The irony of your forum name...

24. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Ouch. That's a bad fall

25. ethics101 macrumors regular

Uhhh its Apple's policy to accept returns with the return window no questions asked. :rolleyes: