Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Im not in the US so have been monitoring iPad prices on eBay.

They appear to be coming down the last few days (of course scalpers are still trying the double price thing but it doesnt appear to be working anymore)

e.g. 32GB iPad 2 can be got for $700 mark on an auction which is more sensible then last week.

On another thread it appears a fair bit of stock today in stores, with the International launch on Friday hopefully things will start easing up!!

I have been tempted to snatch one on eBay myself (my country unfortunately doesnt have Apple stores and they dont ship here) however I will maybe try the following:

A) Wait and see eBay prices after the International Launch

B) My folks hit US next week and visiting Florida for a week and NYC for a week, not sure if by then they could walk in without the queue hassle (NYC looks crazy though with the scalpers)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Even though there was a big shipment released today (score!), there were still people turned away, and wifi was by far the most available model.

Will there be people lined up next week? I have no clue. There is a huge interest obviously, as people will still wait for 10 hours to buy one (local store said people start lining up at midnight every day).

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
It is only natural for prices to drop as more and more devices get into the hands of the users.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Whats difficult to predict is how much international demand is pending Friday's release -- i.e. how many people are waiting and NOT buying on ebay this week in hopes of picking up one Friday, as compared to how many become available in their countries on Friday and in the weeks/days after.

The other factor is whether the disasters in Japan will have an effect on production or whether alternate supplies of key components will be found.

In other words... who knows WHAT will happen next week.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Market should get flooded in the next couple weeks as the rest of the world scalps theirs , prices should hold for a while !

Give it 4-5 weeks and they will sell for cost .

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
I wonder if that asian dude that imports them from the US ever lowers his price on the iPads...

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I wonder if that asian dude that imports them from the US ever lowers his price on the iPads...

I wonder what he does with unsold inventory when it launches in HK (other than the unofficial launch last friday :p). Only a meager markup if supply is short there I guess.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
The new drop in price by Apple has lowered iPad 1 prices

And I think iPad 2's are slowly getting to more and more thus the prices are going down and down

Few ridiculous prices on EBay left

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Selling a 32GB for $700 on eBay is not even worth it. If it's an auction style listing then you are going to owe eBay $50 "final value fee", then another $20 to Paypal, and shipping cost if you did not charge the buyer shipping. If the seller paid tax on the item then they will lose money, if they did not pay tax then the most they could make is $30.

I know resellers and scalpers are not well liked, but some don't realize that the high prices on eBay are sometimes necessary if you want to make any sort of profit after the stupid fees. There's always cragislist, but that's a whole different type of crap to deal with sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.