iPad 2 - Engadget Pics

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Coukos34, Mar 2, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Possibly... I just don't see the point in the rear facing camera though. It's going to be incredibly awkward taking a picture like that.

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

The speaker grill looks sloppy, the rest looks pretty legit.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

There are other uses for a rear facing camera:
    • Facetime -- showing something to the other person
    • Barcode, QR code, or image search (Amazon app, Google Goggles, etc)
    • Document or receipt scans (e.g. JotNot or similar apps)

I agree that using it for taking photos would be pretty awkward as compared to using a phone.

4. urkel, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

One thing I dont understand is why have such a large speaker that points outward?

Other than that, it looks exactly as expected (which isnt necessarily good. The bezel still seems excessively large)

EDIT:
    UGH. Just saw another questionable design feature. THE POWER BUTTON! We had the latest iPod Touch and the power button on a slant like that was terrible because the button is so shallow and the tapered edge almost hid the button from being pressed.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

There is no way that Apple would put out a speaker grill that looks like it's from a 1980's alarm clock. Good mock up and I'd imagine close to what it will look like, but not the real deal.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't like the new design all that much. It just looks like a huge iPod touch, and the latest design iteration of that isn't much to write home about. The flat back just looks weird.

They'd have to include a rear camera if only for the sake of uniformity for FaceTime. But then again, a Mac computer has facetime without a rear camera....hmm..

7. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I like the original iPad design better.

Too bad the original iPad is a stinker in the ram department. :(

8. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

9. sportster macrumors 6502

10. Carouser macrumors 65816

No. The bezel is what makes the power button easier to press than on something like the iPod Touch. Think 'pinching' with the thumb on the bezel, fingers on the back.

Apple uses 'drilled grill' on many of its products (MBA, MBP, mini, iMac to name a few). Did you even know this?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Augmented reality apps, scanning documents, banking apps, etc.

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

The final product might look like that but the thing in the picture looks very mock-up to me. The dock connector looks almost certainly to be a non-functional placeholder and the headphone jack, speaker grill all look terribly sloppy in their finish.

13. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

store is down. hahahaha sorry i had to say it.

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Really?!?! You mean the countdown timer on the homepage of MR is for Apple's March 2nd Media event?!?!?!???

15. oHai macrumors member

Pre-orders/regular orders today? We'll see. That would be cool.

16. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

17. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This has already been posted. Searching is a good thing

18. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Yes they do, but they look like this...not like that sloppy looking crap in the mock up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Management macrumors member

Fake!

Look at the reflection in the second picture. It is one of the first iPad.

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

No, they don't all look like that. Some are on curved metal, others have larger holes, and some are in a hexagonal grid, not a square one. The pictures linked above show a normal square grid of holes all drilled perpendicular to the iPad's face. You think this is 'sloppy', which is fine, but I don't know why you consider it sloppy. IMO It is bad form and function to drill holes radiused to a tapered face of machined aluminum unless the aluminum is very thin, and the speaker would look amiss in the middle of the back of the iPad or on the front; so I am curious what you think would look better.

I'm not saying the pictures are definitive or that Apple would not do something else, but to say 'there is no way Apple would do this' is not believable.

21. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Show me an example of other types of speaker grills on Apple products.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's been noted that the Apple model# stamped on the back is for the original AppleTV. So best case (no pun intended) it's a prototype, not the actual iPad 2.

23. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

It's not that Apple might or might not do it, but rather that it's obvious that "thing" in the picture isn't a real device. Look at the finishing touch on the hole and especially the dock port. That's not a real iPad.

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've learned not to doubt leaked photos this close to an event.