Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uksel

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
I would like to add that I am pretty unhappy with the poor quality of camera.

I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad2 3G + wifi

I bought the iPad to assist my revision, I was planning on scanning all of my course notes on the go using an OCR app, but the only ones that have any sort of decent rating are incompatible with the iPad because of the lack of autofocus, this makes things like scanning business cards or documents on the go pretty much impossible.

Bought it 48 hrs ago and starting to wonder wether or not I made a mistake. This is going to end up being a glorified iPod touch for me personally

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I would like to add that I am pretty unhappy with the poor quality of camera.

I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad2 3G + wifi

I bought the iPad to assist my revision, I was planning on scanning all of my course notes on the go using an OCR app, but the only ones that have any sort of decent rating are incompatible with the iPad because of the lack of autofocus, this makes things like scanning business cards or documents on the go pretty much impossible.

Bought it 48 hrs ago and starting to wonder wether or not I made a mistake. This is going to end up being a glorified iPod touch for me personally

You could always start taking your notes directly on the iPad. With a stylus, there are a variety of apps that do a great job with this. Personally, I like Notes Plus, but I've only tried a couple. Definitely no reason to spend time writing the notes on paper only to scan them in later.

Uksel

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
You could always start taking your notes directly on the iPad. With a stylus, there are a variety of apps that do a great job with this. Personally, I like Notes Plus, but I've only tried a couple. Definitely no reason to spend time writing the notes on paper only to scan them in later.

Sorry porcupine, I should have stated my revision notes are quite extensive and they are also printed handouts, my plan was to scan them to my iPad and use them for revision on the go, as I have to travel a lot for work, it's not really practical for me to carry a big folder, laptop and a laptop/netbook

I was hoping this would offer an all in one solution

Uksel

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
It's not just about having a good camera, it's a part of the package.

It's a much lower standard than I was expecting from apple for the back camera. I am an iPhone user and am very happy with everything (though I wouldn't complain if the products were cheaper)

This is the reason I bought an iPad 2, it's very easy to use and other than the camera it's a great bit of kit.

It makes you wonder when the reputation of apple products is so good, and the overall standard of the products is so high, why when designing the iPad 2, and having the camera feature as one of the main selling points why they would comprise quality, it does actually compromise the brand. Rather than be a hardcore apple fan I would be inclined to look more closely in future to see what bang I'm getting for my buck instead of assuming that apple gear is the best of the best

So I guess it's true what they say about assumptions!

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC

It's a much lower standard than I was expecting from apple for the back camera. I am an iPhone user and am very happy with everything (though I wouldn't complain if the products were cheaper)

This is the reason I bought an iPad 2, it's very easy to use and other than the camera it's a great bit of kit.

It makes you wonder when the reputation of apple products is so good, and the overall standard of the products is so high, why when designing the iPad 2, and having the camera feature as one of the main selling points why they would comprise quality, it does actually compromise the brand. Rather than be a hardcore apple fan I would be inclined to look more closely in future to see what bang I'm getting for my buck instead of assuming that apple gear is the best of the best

Thinner. Lighter. Faster. FaceTime. Smartcovers. 10 Hour Battery.

Those are the main selling points.

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn

This is nothing new. Apple products have never been known to feature the absolute best of the best components. We've all made sacrifices at some point whether it be graphics card in a laptop or processor speed in a mac mini etc…. It's the overall package that matters and in the end that why they are so popular right now.

Uksel

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Thinner. Lighter. Faster. FaceTime. Smartcovers. 10 Hour Battery.

Those are the main selling points.

Do me a favour, go on the apple website and click on iPad.

One of four boxes highlights how fabulous it is because it has 2 cameras

Watch the iPad 2 video and it spends a considerable amount of time bragging about the new cameras with one of them being HD

SOUNDS LIKE AN OVERSELL TO ME!!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Do me a favour, go on the apple website and click on iPad.

One of four boxes highlights how fabulous it is because it has 2 cameras

Watch the iPad 2 video and it spends a considerable amount of time bragging about the new cameras with one of them being HD

SOUNDS LIKE AN OVERSELL TO ME!!

Not oversell if you consider that the first one didn't have those items.

Facetime (front/back camera) and shooting/editing videos (back HD camera) ARE and have been huge selling points.

Uksel

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
I think one of us must not be grasping the point of this debate?

To me it seems like the pro apple (maybe not the best term to use as I myself am a big fan of apple gear) are saying it was intentional the camera is crap for whatever reason we can think of

I think it's fair to say the description given and the hype of the two cameras has been a bit misleading in terms of what most would come to expect from apple quality products.

It is ok to have a critical opinon every now and again, even if it is of an apple product. I'm sure genuine feedback is an important aspect of apples improvement regime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.