iPad 2 for College

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stefc93, Mar 7, 2011.

1. stefc93 macrumors regular

I will be starting college this fall and will be studying civil engineering. I will be living at home and currently have an iMac (see sig. below). However, since I, like most you, am a faster typer than writer and will be "mobile" while at school, I want to purchase an iPad 2 in the 16 GB WiFi trim. I plan on using it for the following things:

1. Note taking
    2. Homework/assignments
    3. Typing reports/essays and typing in general
    4. To assist me in completing research topics thanks to the internet/Safari

I have never owned an iPad before (as you could've guessed) and hope on putting it to good use, in and out of school. I am very excited for this upcoming one.

I would really like to know what apps are recommended or essential for the typical college student to have. In addition, if you yourself are a college student, please let me know (if you wouldn't mind) on what you use your iPad for (tasks) and what apps you have/use.

2. OceanView macrumors 65816

I would pass on the iPad and get the MB Air unless you don't want to spend the extra money.
    iPads are nice but still limited on what you can really do.
    I tried it but really missed a full computer.

3. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Well see, that's the thing: I don't (nor can I) spend the extra money for an MBA. And since I have a great computer at home, I really don't need another computer and, therefore, can not justify the cost of buying one.

Like I said, the iPad would be used mostly for note taking but maybe once in a while for working on things "on the go."

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

here is the problem i see with all the devices out there, it use to be that you buy technology to solve a problem or address a need. with a device like the iPad people tend to shoehorn the thing into their everyday processes to justify the purchase. i love my ipad and it has its use a quick way to get at data but it isn't the ideal way to create content. it is a device designed to consume data not to create things, if the intent was to create or input as a primary function it would have hand writing recognition of some sort native like the old palm pilots.

but yes it can be used to take notes since you can type on it i just don't see how you can effectively do it on that tiny keyboard. surely it can't be more effective than pen and paper. which is what i mean by shoehorning. it is something that works and many people use it as a justification but it is more of a case of wanting to use it for the sake of using rather than using i t because it is hte best way to do a task

if you want an ipad by all means get one, but if your goal is to use it for school then i'd just save the money from an ipad and then find a way to make up the difference ad get an MBA or netbook

5. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clarify one point: I'd use the optional keyboard.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

in that case then it works fine if you don't mind carrying around the keyboard

7. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I would mind since my backpack now is really big and heavy so one keyboard wouldn't make much (if any) difference. Plus, I could buy an iPad bag or something.

8. CZK, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need a laptop sir.

Time to take off fanboy goggles and see that nice gateway laptop for 499

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...gory=Notebooks_English&product=2510391&aff=cj

Features
    Intel Core i3-370M processor 2.26GHz
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    15.6" HD Ultrabright TFT LCD Screen
    1GB Discrete Graphics (ATI Radeon HD 5650)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Now if your goal is not really to be productive and you want too look cool go for the ipad or even better the famous and super duper overpriced macbook.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

a laptop is a better choice but if he can't afford it and doesn't mind carrying the accessories like a keyboard for an ipad then it is fine to use an ipad for the note taking and research stuff, but he'll have to wait till he got home to do the papers and such since the ipad isn't really suited for writing 10 page papers and such

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As a college student myself, I think any college student needs a laptop, not an iPad. An iPad would be fine as a second device, but a laptop is more practical. I'd look into a MBA

11. Rolfmaomachizli macrumors member

people just do not seem to understand.

The ipad is like a slave hard drive. It does most things, but less well. It depends on a main machine ( Imac, macbook, pc) to function, e.g: syncing music, documents etc.

Pros:
    Very Portable
    Has MANY fun apps.
    10 hour battery

Cons:
    Is a slave to your main machine.
    It is not independent.
    You cannot solely rely on your ipad.

If you are considering using your ipad to take notes, then here are my only two recommendations:

- Buy a bluetooth keyboard or the one that is for the Ipad. You will need it.

- Use the app that everyone uses: Evernote, you can sync your notes from Ipad to Imac and also record your lessons ( audio).

Sources: I own a Mac, Ipad. I know what the hell i'm talking about, the Ipad sits in a drawer till bet time.

Best of Luck.

12. nukem170, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011

nukem170 macrumors member

1. Note taking - If youre trying to keep up with a lecture, dont bother. If you are trying to make a grocery list, go for it.
    2. Homework/assignments - See below
    3. Typing reports/essays and typing in general - Aren't things need to be properly formatted for handing in? Don't things usually need to be in MS Word format for submissions? Oh and where's powerpoint?
    4. To assist me in completing research topics thanks to the internet/Safari - As long as sites you visit dont use flash. Oh and when I do research and stuff I usually need to be able to quickly jump between bunch of PDF files (most research articles are PDF) be able to highlight them, copy sections to word or note pad and etc.. Good luck trying to get things done in a timely manner without an actual keyboard/mouse.

So to be perfectly honest with you iPad is nothing more than an oversized ipod. If you want to get some work done then you still need a computer. If you cant afford a mac book then why not get a netbook (around $250-300) or a regular laptop (a good one for close to $1000 or less). I use a netbook for all my school work and it can do all of the above.

13. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Have a computer @ home, don't need another one. Plus, Gateways aren't all that great either. Let me correct myself: they're sub-par.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

As a college student, i use a MacBook Pro. I can't believe using an iPad for any of my classes, it's just not the same.

15. forcetactic, Mar 7, 2011

forcetactic macrumors 6502

This. An ipad is pretty slow at all the things OP mentioned

16. stefc93, Mar 7, 2011

stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

1. I don't see why it would be anymore difficult to keep up with a lecture or presentation via typing, whether it be on an iPad or laptop as I would be using the "real"/hardware keyboard.
    3. I do my current homework and stuff in Pages and presentations in Keynote. All I do is convert to .word or .ppt when sending to myself in school or on a flash drive.
    4. Most sites that I've visited for research are text-heavy/intensive, not Flash. However, that I've visited had flash so I get the jist.

I'm aware that I won't be completing ALL my work on the iPad. However, it looks like a great tool to start work on and then FINISH it on a desktop/laptop. This is what I plan on doing (for most of the time).

17. stefc93, Mar 7, 2011

Pretty slow @ note taking and creating/typing text? Jeez. If that's slow, then I don't know how my iPhone 4 keeps up...

I feel like a MBP or a MBA would be sort of a waste/bad investment considering I have an iMac which is just over a year old and runs great. Don't need to double-up.

18. akasch macrumors regular

I'm a college student right now, and I considered doing the same thing. Some of the main situations I would consider since you are commuting:

You will not want to take notes on that thing, but you can always handwrite if you want.
    You get to campus and forgot to print out your paper..What do you do? Its a very high percentage chance air print will not work.
    You need to do a presentation in class: chances are you will not be able to hook the ipad up to the projector system.
    Like the point brought up by nukem170 you will want to kill yourself switching between a dozen pdfs/websites trying to write a research on the ipad.

I go to school like 5 minutes away from Apples campus and I have never seen any student use their ipad as a main computer, always as a secondary/class reading tool.

19. forcetactic, Mar 7, 2011

forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you're saying iPhone 4 can type as fast as a keyboard, oh man :rolleyes:
    We are giving you solid advice. The iPad is nothing iconic. It won't replace a laptop

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sell the iMac and get a laptop and smart phone like every other college student has.

21. iBryton macrumors regular

Not to be rude, but since you're not letting us help you by always responding I don't need a computer, we have no other choice but to say go with the iPad.

Plus this is in the wrong forum anyways..

You don't want us to help you? Fine, leave this forum.

22. stefc93, Mar 7, 2011

I've used my iPhone with my iMac's Bluetooth keyboard. :D

But everyone is saying that I should get a laptop. However, I just spent 2 grand on this iMac last year and really don't want to spend another grand on a MPB/MBA.

Technically, all I was asking was what apps you would suggest and (if applicable) what apps you use on it.

23. ApexBoost macrumors member

If you feel like it will meet your needs then by all means pick one up. I feel that you won't use it as much as you think.

Take it from another Civil Engineering major, the majority of your notes and work will be done by hand as they are very math intensive. The iPad will help in the gen ed. classes and such but other than that you better get used to writing alot, and quickly.

24. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

I see. However, like I said, I much rather prefer to type than write as it's way easier for me. If I need to print a paper, I'll just email it to my school email and print from there. Regarding the presentation in class: I don't think (I'm just guessing here) that most college students hook up their computers to the projector, either. I'm sure that they use a supplied desktop/laptop at the facility (at least that's what I used at a presentation over the summer).

25. gibbz macrumors 68030

I am a graduate student and have used my iPad over the course of the last year in class.

It has been great for making notes about lectures, looking up references online, storing journal articles and e-textbooks, writing brief reports, etc.

I don't think the OP has any misguided idea that the iPad is a standalone product, but given the original uses listed, I think it would work great.

If you are worried about a keyboard, you could always get something like this, this, or this.