iPad 2 for GPS nav use = 3G version?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alexdell, Mar 2, 2011.

1. alexdell macrumors newbie

Do I need to get the 3G version if I want to use the Navigon/TomTom Navigation app? I think the iPad v1 only had the GPS chip on the 3G version. I see from the tech specs that the 3G version has the "assisted GPS" feature. Is this what I need to use the nav apps?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

3. coredump4 macrumors newbie

Does Assisted GPS work even if 3G service isn't activated? Eg, can you buy a WiFi/3G model, but not activate it, and still get AGPS? I'm interested in better LBS capability, but not paying yet another monthly charge.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Assisted GPS uses 3G to lock in a location before the GPS locks in satellites, so you get a near-instant location. Without 3G being active you need to have maps pre-loaded to the iPad otherwise there's no practical way to use the GPS.

5. jcbandxi macrumors newbie

Alex, you can use the 3G with built in GPS or buy a 3rd party GPS like the Bad Elf GPS.

6. coredump4, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

coredump4 macrumors newbie

So I called Apple. They told me that Assisted GPS won't work unless your 3G service is activated, but a friend tells me he's seen evidence to the contrary. So it remains inconclusive. Obviously, activated or not, you will need to have 3G coverage for AGPS to function.

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Or you could save some money and just use a TomTom. A device specifically made for GPS navigation.

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I don't think you need 3G service, you just need the WiFi+3G iPad because it has a GPS chip.

You can purchase NAVIGON. It saves all the maps onto your iPad.

9. alexdell thread starter macrumors newbie

I confirmed with my friend who has the iPad 3G that the GPS chip works without activating the 3g service. He uses Navigon and never activated the data plan. He doesn't even have the microsim installed.

Alex

10. Type121 macrumors regular

Right, but the assistance won't work without a network connection, either through 3G or, less likely while moving, WiFi.

11. vanc macrumors 6502

My wife's iPhone 4 does not have a data plan. But we can use Navigon wthout problem. My iPad does have a data plan, though.

12. deeddawg, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

I have a 32GB 3G ipad and don't currently have 3G data service activated. I've used a standalone GPS/navigation application and it works perfectly. Hope that's conclusive enough.

I'll also say that the size/reflectivity of the ipad screen makes it not so useful as a GPS device. Handy in a pinch, but for regular use the screen is too big IMHO.

13. RKpro macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that you can get a decent standalone garmin/tomtom unit with a proper GPS receiver for around $100, and it will include a car mount.

14. coredump4 macrumors newbie

Thanks, this is what I started to find more and more of, as I kept digging. Also, I initially misunderstood how AGPS works, and now it makes perfect sense that the contract is not required.