iPad 2 for my dad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ajack, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ajack macrumors member

Hi everyone,

The christmas time is nearby and I really want to buy new laptop for my beloved father. But after considering all situation, I found out that it's more convenient to own a iPad. Actually, it's light, it's can do some basic task like reading and editing word file (.doc). Cause my father is a writer, he *just* need basic text editor, and he's using Microsoft Office on his owned desktop, so, he needs some application that can read and edit word file (document to go apps, open office apps? I guess?).

So, here are my questions:

1. Do we have something like iCould for windows? cause I just don't want him to copy files from iPad back to PC after travelling (he's just too old for doing many task like that).

2. I consider MBA 11" and iPad, but the 11" MBA is somehow got smaller font size, which I don't want cause that would tire his eyes.

3. Are there apps for iPad that goes perfectly fine with .doc files? The only thing I want to typing, no column, no table, no checkbox, no whatever...

Thanks for all your contribution,

Best regards

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Dropbox is an excellent solution for cloud storage, and is what many were using before icloud (and many still are).

Docs2Go handles doc files just fine for basic use. There are also apps he might want to explore that are designed just for writers and their workflow.

If he'll be doing a lot of writing on it, he'll definitely want a Bluetooth keyboard. The onscreen keyboard is fine for short things (like this comment I'm typing on it), but for more than a few paragraphs you really want a physical keyboard.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

What files does he need to transfer after travel? Doc, or photos? Did you realize it not the best camera to carry around?

I asked because photo stream to iPhoto is the only thing a could think of that works on Mac and not pc.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Dropbox & Quickoffice Pro HD

For iPad you have easy solution. Subscribe to Dropbox (so you don't have to sync to iTunes just to access document), then buy Quickoffice Pro HD (which is discounted right now for almost $10.00). It's the best app to work on MS Office documents on iPad and it syncs back and forth to Dropbox.

5. ajack thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all recommends and advices,

I'm really consider buying a bluetooth keyboard for him, so that he can typing in airplane, train or whatever.

Actually, I did some search about file synchronization software for PC, MAC and mobile, but I couldn't find DropBox, hope that would be a solution for me!

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

https://www.dropbox.com/

:)

7. ajack thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention 1 more thing: are there any apps for iPad to record itenerary? That means using 3G, wifi to record the travelling route and can take note for each point (such as a quick note, a pic or something like that)

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Evernote?

9. roux macrumors newbie

All in one case

Take a look at Zaggfolio. It provides a case, stand and keyboard. It would also offer good protection while traveling.

10. Bucky1 macrumors newbie

zaggfolio

Roux: question on the Zaggfolio-do you have one? Would like to hear feedback on this product, looks good.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

You Dad could also download the iCloud Control panel for Windows in order to be able to sync contacts and calendars with Outlook on his PC. I don't own a PC, so I can't say how well this works.

I am not quite sure I understand what you are asking about the Itinerary App. If you are looking for an App where you can journal a trip, Mobility Trip: Travel Journal may do what you want. This allows you to record your path of travel, attach photos, and send emails and Facebook links. Trip Viewer is another similar App.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Photo stream does work on pcs. Instead of streaming to iPhoto, it syncs with a windows folder you designate.

13. ajack thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all,

I decided to buy iPad2 for my dad. At the 1st sight, everything seems fine, so, I just find suitable apps for my dad as his demands :D