Ipad 2 for presentations

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Iphon3R, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Iphon3R macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I currently have 2 laptops I use for my computing needs - on 16.1" powerful one for general and heavy use, and a smaller and lighter 14" for portability and presentations.

I noticed that I barely use the 14" laptop as a full computer, I simply use it for random web surfing and mostly on presentations (including video presentations).

Since I own an iphone 4, and I was thinking of replacing the 14" laptop with an ipad2. The main use - again - will be for presentations (connected to a VGA presenter using the appropriate adapter) and general use.

The question is - will it be a good alternative for the laptop? I don't need to do any editing on the presentations, so I can convert the powerpoint files to a compatible format. But the issue is how stable it is, and if it easy to use and reliable for presentations.
    The main advantage would be the great portability and the ease of use of the iOS platform, which I really like in my iphone 4.

Thanks in advance!! :p

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Based on the laptop sizes you mentioned, I am assuming you are a Windows user, and your presentations are in PowerPoint. You options will depend on how fancy your presentations are, whether they contain animations, embedded movies, and special slide transitions. Keynote is currently the only app on iPad that support these fancy effects, but is for Mac only.

Your options are:
    1. Get apps like Documents to go, or Quickoffice. They can play and edit PowerPoint files, but without any fancy effects.
    2. Convert your PowerPoint talks to keynote format. You will lose all the fancy effects, but you can re-add them on you iPad in keynote. However once it's in keynote format, you can't do anything with it in Windows.
    3. Get a Mac computer and use keynote on the Mac before transferring files to iPad. However, most, but not all, effects will work of the iPad.