iPad iPad 2 from iOS 6 to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abba 701, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Abba 701 macrumors regular

Is there a way to upgrade an iPad 2 to iOS 7 from iOS 6 or it can only update to 8.1.2?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can only update to the currently signed version of iOS. As of this post, that is iOS 8.1.2.

3. Abba 701 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you guys recommend ? Should I stay or upgrade?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS 8 runs nicely on older devices. Plus it is much more secure. iOS 6 on the iPad 2 has a very flawed SSL implementation that allows anyone to easily gain access to all SSL traffic.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Security trumps all. It's paramount and must be prioritized above performance.

Upgrade.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

For me performance trumps security.. There will always be exploits even after Apple has moved on to the next OS. A lot of those exploits are to counter the JB crowd. I've never once had any issues running my iPad 3 on iOS 5.1.1

So lets see, I update my iPad 3 to iOS 8.1.2 so I can feel better about my secuirty and now my iPad 3 makes me want to throw it against a wall. Then when iOS 9 is announced and I can't update, my iPad 3 will still run like it's in a mollasses vat but with more security issues. No thanks, you can't win unless you want to keep playing the upgrade game.

I follow safe surfing and i'll enjoy my iPad 3 which runs great under iOS 5.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have no security issues that you know of. Just because you visit safe sites, doesn't mean your device won't exploited. All it takes is a rouge third party ad or a malformed WiFi SSID and your device is compromised. As an added bonus, Apple lists every exploit your device has publicly on its site.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

The problem is you have to play the upgrade game. How about those that still have the original iPad and are on iOS 4/5?

Like I said for me performance trumps security. At a certain point Apple discontinues support for a given devices and the user will still have security risks. The only way to keep up is to accelerate the upgrade cycle. No thanks.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree. Upgrading an iPad 2 to iOS 8 for "security" is like putting bars in the windows of your house. Sure, it'll be more difficult for thieves to break in, but you'll get less sunlight.

Unless you have national secrets on your iPad, or the entire customer database of Target or something, I don't see the need to upgrade it just for the added security.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Well then, until then I or any other slightly technologically inclined person shall enjoy reading your emails, viewing your web traffic, and snooping on your connections on your device.

11. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

Don't upgrade at all. Unless you need an app that requires iOS 7 and above I wouldn't even think about it.

12. oldmacs macrumors 68040

You'll definitely see a performance hit, but its down to how you perceive it. I did it for the new features and the security, and the performance doesn't bother me too much.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'll take that as FUD and since I don't have anything of importance on any of my mobile devices sans a reminder for my next dentist/generic title appointment, i'm not too worried. My Mail clients have been moved to Windows 8 due to better control. If someone wants to see that I scour ESPN or that I use iTunes Radio a lot, so be it.

And even if i'm on the latest OS, there's always the chance that Apple is not aware of a certain exploit available. My feeling on most of this is, that most security updates are mostly to address JB'ers.

----------

Ha ! Good analogy

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I still have my ipad 3 on iOS 5.1. I never "upgrade" iOS on older Apple hardware. There is no win for the consumer in doing that. Apple withholds several key features from older devices but adds performance penalties on older hardware : a lose-lose.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah, the one i'll never figure out is why the original Mini has transparency throughout and yet the iPad 2 which uses the same A5 chip doesn't have it but you get transparency if you JB it.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

FUD or not, it is very possible and you wouldn't notice it happening. Your rather quaint outlook on security is most laughable. Thank you for the pick me up at the end of an oddly chaotic workday it was most needed.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Possible doesn't mean probable. To go back to my previous analogy, it's very possible for thieves to break the window of my house and steal stuff. But it's never happened to me yet.

If you choose to emphasize security over usability that's your choice, but it doesn't mean other choices are not valid. Each person needs to decide for themselves what combination of security vs usability is right for them.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A neat thing with security exploits such as these is that we don't have accurate numbers as to those being exploited. It could be a very high number or it may not be. The end user won't know if their communications or data is being monitored by a malicious person or party. That is rather different than coming home and see your front window shattered. That does make a rather poor analogy for gauging how often exploits are used to gain access to communications.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So what kind of data could be stolen using this technique you are concerned about?

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Depending on the exploit used, any and everything that goes out from the iOS device or that is stored on the iOS device. It's all fair game depending on which of the publicly listed exploits is used.

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

Much to do about nothing. I guess we need to find every iPad 1 owner and snatch the iPad from their hands and throw it in the trash. They afteralll are contributing to security issues. And Apple are shared accomplises for selling iPad 1 in the refurb store when they could no longer be updated past iOS 5. /s

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, that's so vague. Doesn't help me make an informed decision on what level of security / convenience is acceptable for me.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most first generation iPads and other outdated/obsolete iOS devices have long since been retired to nothing more than a media player, if they're still used at all. You can make it less vague by looking at what you do on your device and what is on it. I don't have the specifics of what you do on it exactly, so that is why it was left vague.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So comes down to what we have on our devices, and what we do with them, which is kind of what I've said all along.

Unless you have specific advice, like "If you do X, then you could be in trouble if someone were to get hold of that info," this conversation isn't very helpful.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Something as basic as email can provide anyone with a wealth of information, sometimes even personal information. Even something as simple and meaningless and ones credentials to MacRumors can provide and possibly ultimately leak personal information. In summation, an unpatched machine no matter the OS is a ticking time bomb.