Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roken

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My wife and I both feel that our iPad 2's are getting quite warm on the rear bottom left of the device (when held in portrait) during normal use compared to the rest of the device; never experienced this with the original iPad.

Just wandering if anyone else feels this too, or if we are alone in this. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
what are you doing? anything cpu intensive? i believe the cpu is in that general area, so if your doing anything that pushes the processor you could feel heat.

roken

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Surfing the web (wifi or 3g) but feel it more during games to be honest.

I guess that would explain it since the CPU is there, just never experienced the same with the iPad 1 hence why it flagged up as weird.

If it's the same for everyone I guess it'll just take some getting used to.

IF, that is.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It gets mildly warm there. It's almost certainly the CPU. Remember, this CPU is 2 times faster than the one in the original iPad. Unless it's getting scalding hot or something, it's totally normal.

EDIT: the GPU is also much faster, and theyre notorious for generating heat.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Same thing here. Warm at the bottom left 1/3, when held in portrait. Never had it with iPad 1.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Yep, noticed that too. I don't think it's an issue. Probably more noticeable on the iPad 2 because it's thinner, plus aluminum is more conducive of heat.
Nothing compare to how my (beloved) MacBook Pro heats up on my lap.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Mine too. Even when on wifi (cell off) and just browsing at 55% brightness. Is this considered normal? My iPad 2 sure never felt warm at all.

davenz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Massive oversight by Apple. I was all set to buy the iPad 3 as my first iPad, but might just look for a 2 in that case. I hate the fact my Macbook gets hot.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yep, noticed that too. I don't think it's an issue. Probably more noticeable on the iPad 2 because it's thinner, plus aluminum is more conducive of heat.
Nothing compare to how my (beloved) MacBook Pro heats up on my lap.

No problems with my iPad 2 - runs cool.

Comparing the iPad 2 to the new iPad (Retina) at the Apple Store next to eachother - the new one definitely runs hot, and gets hotter when running graphic intensive apps (all across the back).

Unacceptable to me and not worth the better display because of it. Maybe a software fix?

Glad I'm sticking with my iPad 2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.