iPad 2: Glasgow, Scotland

Discussion in 'iPad Launch Meetups' started by iWannaBeAdored, Mar 12, 2011.

1. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Is anyone else planning on going through to the Apple store in Glasgow, Scotland if the release date for the UK is still 25th March?
    :apple:

2. Goldie009 macrumors member

Yes, although I'm not sure wether the release in the UK will be 1700 or when the store opens...

Also not sure when to join the queue - I'm probably happy to queue for an hour or two but although I'd like an iPad2 asap I have too many other things to do that in the grand scheme of things are more important (final year projects at uni for example).

Whats your plans for heading through?

3. iWannaBeAdored thread starter macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

If it is a 5PM launch I will probably head through with my mum at about noon, get something to eat and go around the shops for a bit then start lining up. I'd rather be early than late. I'll update this thread when I'm through on Friday, just saying what the lines are like etc.

4. raymondkerr macrumors regular

for me, if its a 5pm launch, I reckon going in about 11am to see what the que is like, but I am hoping for an early 7/8am launch like the iPhone 4. If this is the case, then I'll be looking to join the que about 4/5am :eek:

Either way I'll have my MBA & iPhone 4 to keep me occupied, hope it doesn't rain :rolleyes::apple:

5. hippyharry macrumors regular

I was going to queue in Glasgow, but I got mine in Austin, TX last friday. Im at Uni that same day at Caledonian, so if you want, I can swing down and let a few of you try mine out? :)

6. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Glasgow for me. I was hoping for a early morning launch but if it's 5pm I'll get there for 2pm. Hopefully plenty of stock and a fast moving queue as I have to board a plane at 20:55 on Friday.

7. iWannaBeAdored thread starter macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

You should make your flight man!

As long as I'm through in Glasgow for 12-noon then I'm never far from the line in case it starts to build up.

Want to nip to McDees first though!

8. J-AF macrumors newbie

Hopefully heading into town for about 12 or 1pm. Kick about and see what's what. Been saving my money for a while now for one, trying not to spend it on booze etc. So i'm glad it's finally, well almost here. :D

I'm away out on the piss friday night for a 21st so i'll get no time to have a play around with it before I go out.

9. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

10. ghepburn macrumors newbie

Will be there also but what time do you guys think is sensible if I want to get one? Also I have a flight to catch straight after so will the box etc. be OK in hand luggage?
    Cheers

11. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Thats what I am thinking the whole time, I can not make up my mind.

I will def try in my local Comet/Currys/PCWorld if they'd take deposits and hand the Ipad out on Friday.

12. sneeks macrumors 6502a

It should be OK in hand luggage, hope so anyway as I'm catching a flight that night too.

From these guidelines it looks like you will need to open the box before you get to the airport.

You are allowed to take electrical items (such as laptops and hairdryers) in your hand baggage but they will need to be removed and screened separately.

Queues may not be bad, I was there at 7am last year for the original iPad launch and was back out of the store by 8.30am. The store had opened at 8am.

13. J-AF macrumors newbie

Maybe this is just my opinion but it doesn't seem like a big glaswegian thing for queuing for new technology etc. Maybe a wee bit different for t in the park tickets, so I reckon the queue should be reasonable and i'm pretty confident I'll get on on friday.

In saying that i'm still going to head into town about 1pm, incase i'm totally wrong.

14. rscosworth macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am going to try and get an iPad2 on Friday in Glasgow, I am working (although from home) but hoping to head into town around 1430 to check the queue out.

If its rediculously long then I probably won't wait and try the competitors over the weekend but if its acceptable then I will contemplate standing in the queue.

If peeps are getting there earlier than 1500 it would be good to get a running commentry on what is happening, ie, should I get my ass in gear and join the queue or can I nip for some food.

I will make sure my iPhone4 is fully charged and stand, bored out of my mind playing fragger or angry birds :rolleyes:

15. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

If I will go, i will tweet on @mic2904

Will we use a tag?? how about #iglasgow

btw: I have queued nearly 8 hours for the Grand Opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so standing in the queue to get an Ipad for about 3-4 hours will be easy peasy :D

16. javjamoll macrumors member

Hmmm, I was planning on going but I'm not too sure. I'll probably head into town after Uni to check out the lines and see, but we'll see.

I think I'll order online at JL(if they have them) or Apple.

I can wait a extra few days/week. I've beeing waiting since Nov anyways xD

17. karellen macrumors member

I'm planning on heading into town in the a.m., take care of some business and see how the queue is shaping up just before noon.

If it is starting to build up I'll head off for a quick lunch, avail myself of the bathroom facilities and join the queue.

18. rscosworth macrumors newbie

How do the launch events usually work?

Does someone from Apple come out and say, hey guys, anyone queueing for a 64GB 3G is not in luck, likewise anyone wanting a white model etc etc or we only have 50 and theres 300 people queueing, 250 go home!

or

Do they let everyone queue up then suddenly close the doors leaving several hundred people without the product they were waiting for?

The only difference from normal is the launch time and I assume they will be closing during the day, or at least from midday?

19. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

20. rscosworth macrumors newbie

Bless :p

21. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I'll be heading in with my mate, about 11am, see what the que situation is like then, maybe grab some food then wait in line. Was fairly close to the front at the iPhone 4 launch in Glasgow last year, waited maybe 3-4 hours and was in and out within 15 minutes.

twitter @raymondkerr74
    :apple:

22. J-AF macrumors newbie

I wish you could get a bevy on the streets of glasgow, get the wee guy beside TGI's to get his tunes going on his guitar and make a party of it.

23. iWannaBeAdored thread starter macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Yeah Apple should pay a band to play, make it a big event! I'd happily bring my guitar through :p

I'll be rockin' a paisley Pretty Green t-shirt in the que by the way ;)

24. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'm in 2 minds whether to go to Braehead (lots of 3rd party sellers closer to each other) or Apple Store (more stock)

I finish at 2 on Friday but I work at Faslane Submarine Base, so it'll take me a good hour to get to Glasgow

25. grant666uk macrumors newbie

Jumping on the train from Livi. Should be in Glasgow for 11am Dont mind what one I get as long as its 32 or 64.