iPad 2 glass broken. Where can I find?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nasty devil, Apr 13, 2011.

1. nasty devil macrumors member

Hi there.

I have an iPad 2 with a broken screen, well not the touch screen as it still works. It broke at the very corner of the glass - on the white part. But the crack is all the way to the other side.

I guess the whole thing should be removed and have a new one installed.

Any website where I can find iPad 2 parts? I tried eBay, but I still its still too early to see those showing up.
    And I'm not in the US, so no Apple stores around :rolleyes:

Thanks!

2. goMac macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure Apple is the only one that can fix it at this point. Furthermore, the glass is not removable as the construction of the iPad was done with glue.

3. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply, but how about those?

Here

Or this one

Cheers

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Your only option is to go to an Apple retail store to get it fixed, they will sent it off to repair warehouse, and if you are under warranty (which you should be since it hasn't been over a year yet since iPad 2's release) they can hopefully fix it for you. They may charge you for specific parts, as this was a permanent user fault, not a hardware defect.

Since you say you are not near an Apple retail store, you would need to phone them to get more information, to see whether they can ship it to a country to repair it and then send it back to you.

iPad parts are not user replaceable unlike Macs, and iPhones. There are no screws, as the whole front glass of the iPad is glued down to the base of the device.

BTW, so sorry to hear your problem, how did you manage to get a crack on your iPad 2?

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

This sucks bro. I got a nick in my screen and I'm freaking out.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved quickly.

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

7. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

8. goMac macrumors 603

Even if you buy those, because of how the iPad is built, you won't be able to install them. Sorry.

9. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies :)

But I wan't planning on doing it myself. I will be taking it to an authorized reseller here, they do have a workshop. But I'm asking to much I can save by buying the parts on my own. ;)

10. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, unless they are equipped for iPad 2 repairs they're not going to be able to fix it...

Seriously. The iPad 2 doesn't even use screws. You have to take it to a shop that specifically has tools for the iPad 2. That probably means Apple. You can't put an iPad 2 back together once it's been taken apart.

11. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

So you know this for a fact right?

I am sure it is repairable, as long as you have the correct adhesive and some proper experience with disassembling complex electronics.

12. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Unless your Steve jobs, you will encounter difficulties trying to replace the front screen of the iPad.

13. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

Well guys, again thanks for your inputs. Appreciated :)

My dad dropped by at the workshop today, they said they'll have parts in a month, and will be ABLE to fix it. Weird. Because they did the first iPad.

Problem is, they said they charged around 320$ :eek: for the first iPad

Asked them if we give them parts, and of course no they dont do that.

Ouch.

14. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Way to read the post... !!

He's not in the USA, He said no :apple:'s around !!!

15. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

16. Cheetablaze macrumors member

I really want to buy a slim case for the Ipad2 but i'm seeing all of these broken Ipads... I think I am going to stick with my bulky incase. I wish you the best luck with getting your Ipad restored to its former glory.

17. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

Mine is fine :D

I think I'll wait a month and see how much they charge :eek:

18. supernova949 macrumors newbie

Apple certified technicians

These guys fixed my iPad repair. They told me they do international too as long as you pay for shipping.

19. animartis macrumors newbie

Just for some clarification, it is completely POSSIBLE to replace the digitizer yourself. There are some caveats, however.

1. The glass is very thin and easily cracks when taking it off. The best way to do it is to pry it up just a tad bit with an ipad tool or something very thin, then slide guitar picks or something similar around the whole ipad. You can also gently heat the glass with a hair dryer or heat gun, just don't melt anything.

2. Be very careful of the digitizer ribbon and wifi connector. The wifi connector is just to the right on the home bottom and the ribbon is at the bottom-left of the ipad. I would recommend starting on the right side and work up. Slow and steady wins this race, folks.

3. The digitizer is held on with an adhesive tape and I have yet to find an after-market tape that will work as well as the original. Any suggestions from the field would be much appreciated.

20. tuzzle macrumors newbie

Just got a similar problem with my iPad 1 after dropping the corner of the glass onto a door handle, have been bracing myself to have to buy a new one but will give the repair zoom guys a shot, unless anyone knows a reason not too?

21. consolepartzz macrumors newbie

Hi , When your screen broken, you should change all front panel. I guess you need Heat Gun or Hairdryer, iPad 2 Adhesive, frame bezel and iPad 2 digitizer and repair tool kits for ipad. about where you can find ipad 2 parts, you can try here: http://www.phonelcdwholesale.com

22. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

They would give or send a replacement...not fix it and send it back. Plus...with skill you can fix it yourself. Just look at a tear down video. Takes patience and skill but it is not impossible...a simple hair drier will work to loosen the glue.