iPad 2 glass coming loose

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Supercell, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Supercell macrumors member

Hello,

I bought my iPad 2 16GB WiFi when it launched here in Holland. A while back I noticed that the glass at the bottom right, near the home button, is coming loose. It is actually detached a bit from where it should be attached to. When I press it, it sometimes make a *click* sound.

Anyone else having the same issue? The device is still working properly, no issues there, but I don't know if I should take it back to the store and see if I can get a new one. Is this even a serious enough issue to get a new one?

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have this problem, only because it was dropped. The bad thing about the aluminum housing is it dents easily and the lower right corner on mine dented in enough that the inside aluminum pushed in and pushed the screen upward. The plastic ring around the glass is squished and is also pushing the glass up. It also had a slight dent right in the middle of the dock connector that is pushing the glass up there. I have to be real careful where I grab the iPad at so I don't put too much pressure on the glass in that area. I have been thinking about going by the apple store to see if there is anything they can do. It was totally my wife's fault. She is handicapped and in a wheel chair and can only use her right arm. She let it slip out of the case and it hit our bathroom tile floor.

Attached Files:

3. Supercell thread starter macrumors member

That sucks.

Well, your case can be explained, because it has been dropped. But I really can't explain mine, because I've never dropped it. I always handle it with care. It just happened.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

No. What a mean thing to say about your wife. It was YOUR fault for not putting a case on the iPad. These things drop all of the time, whether you are handicapped or not. If you take the appropriate precautionary measures then you can minimize the risk of damage. And, knowing that she lacks mobility, you really ought to have purchased a warranty plan that covers accidental damage.

5. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Don't know, but since it's under warranty, I'd take it back to them and odds are they'll just replace it with a new one.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

agread
    Take it to apple, they will swap it.

7. Supercell thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I'll do that.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

good luck. Make a backup first though because they don't repair it they give you a different Unit.

9. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

you apparently missed the part in his post where he mentioned that it was in a case. and it's totally his wife's fault, she dropped it. [yes, i sympathize that she's handicapped, but the facts are the facts]. you guys needs to stop being so judgmental.

agree that he should have probably bought some sort of damage/replacement coverage or get a much better case.

10. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I made a thread about this at launch. Every single display unit I've checked has this issue to some degree and I went through 3 replacements all having it as well. If you check the ifixit teardown it's right where this one part is thasquash at doesn't have a ton of glue. Functionally it's fine it's a flaw in the design.

Return it if you want but I assure you the new unit will have the same issue

Edit: found demo video

Not all iPads will make click noise but all will have some degree of separation at that spot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8HQ_v8xOy4

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

I did not miss that part. I assumed he said "case" when he really meant "sleeve," because I have never seen a case that would let the ipad "fall" out.

I appreciate your coming on to defend him. Perhaps I am being too harsh, but this is something like saying it's a short person's "fault" that they couldn't reach something on a high shelf, or a tall person's fault that they banged their head against a ceiling fan, or your grandma's fault that she fell down and broke her hip. Instead of blaming people because of their physical condition, we ought to take responsibility and get a case and coverage that is appropriate for the circumstances. If your wife lacks mobility, you get a "case" that allows the ipad to fall out, and you don't buy accident coverage, then I think you share blame for whatever happens. Certainly, your wife doesn't deserve to be blamed for her handicap.

12. Supercell thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's exactly the same spot, same sound as on the video.

I might return this one and if I get a new one which has the same flaw, then so be it.

Thanks

13. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

My wife had this issue. Took it to Apple, they replaced it.

Her new one has not developed the same issue.

Mine has never had this issue.

14. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I actually had an identical issue on my last ipad2 right when I took it out of the box ( before my nephew dropped it down the stairs).
    I orioginally though it got shaken loose during shipping, the box was damaged and where was a scuff on the back when I took it out of the box... But maybe it was just a bad batch?

My current iPad 2 (which I got to replace the one that fell down a set of stairs) has no issue.

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Few have the clicking but rest assured they ALL have separation and that spot, at least the over 50 I've looked at do. Every single one. Hard to see on black, very hard, but it's there. White it's easy to see depending on angle.