ipad 2 glass/digitizer replacement help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by winty03, Dec 22, 2011.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Last night I dug into my first iPad 2 glass/digitizer replacement. All seemed to go well, but I had a question regarding the adhesive. Is it truly possible to get the digitizer out without cracking it?!?! Mine was cracked from a drop, but I had a real hard time getting the glass out without it constantly shattering. I did use a heat gun to warm the adhesive, but question myself if I used enough heat, because it didn't seem to help or change much. The heat gun I used has adjustable temp, but I seen some 2 speed guns companies sell for iPad repair, that run 700 or 900 degrees. I was running mine at around 400 degrees in fear of melting something. I attempted to use the blue plastic pry tools, but they were no where near strong enough and had to use a metal blade. In the end its out and replaced, but watching some demo videos, they either have no adhesive on the screen or have a new digitizer in place for the demo video. Looking for some good advise for the next go round. I attempted to use the gently lift and guitar pick method, but was never able to get the screen to lift without it shattering. Thanks in advance

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I just did the same replacement and used my wife's high end blow dryer. It took a lot of heat. The glass was very hot to the touch. I use a thin metal pick from ifixit to start, then switched to their blue plastic pry tool.

The home button and metal around the camera gave me the most issues. How did you handle the home button replacement? Mine was clicky afterward.

I eventually ended up swapping iPad 2 because I was annoyed with the clicky home button.

3. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I am still waiting on the replacement part, I purchased a new digitizer that has camera lens and home button assembly pre installed. Removing them wise....The top of the iPad was shattered in pieces so that was already taken out. The home button had no issue. Really no issues besides the sticky glue...I will post back how install goes when the part comes in. Next time I will crank up the heat a bit more. New question......ipod touch battery replacements.....Looks like a solder job, which I can do, likes a bit wild!!! I got 2 touches that one only charges to 20% and once removed from wired power...it turns off with in 2 mins and another that doesn't last more than 10 mins on battery. Cant find anyone around that does the service, Im a bit nervous about taking on the job.....