ipad 2 glass screen scratch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipad2scratch, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ipad2scratch macrumors newbie

Ugh... I'm pretty annoyed that this always happens to me but anyways I'm glad that i caught it in time

my ipad 2 has a small scratch on the screen. you need to rotate it a bit under light to see but I used a macro camera and took a pic of it. I waited 6 hours on the Friday line at 5th avenue in NYC to get one. My 14-day return is almost up (i have to return by Friday).

Any suggestions on how to confront them about this issue? I am almost certain I didn't scratch it and paying 700 dollars for my iPad 2 should at least come with a decent screen right?

Also, can I ask for a "raincheck" or extension on my return date in case they do not have the my model in stock anymore? I feel like it should be justified as I stood outside for 6 hours for an iPad.

Please give me tips guys thanks

pic attached

http://i51.tinypic.com/r7ppoy.jpg

2. JimKirk macrumors 6502

mine too had a scratch

They took it back no problem. Some get scratched during manufacturing processs.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I don't think you'll have a problem returning it. I'm really miffed on some of the quality issues coming out of China. I've had a dead pixel and another with a scratch in the back.

4. ipad2scratch thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if I can exchange or get a extension on my return? I called Apple and the guy refused to help me and said "I don't know."

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'd just tell them you noticed a defect on your screen and you'd like a replacement. The other alternative would be be to box it up and get a refund. I'm really going to try and buy one from target because of their generous 90 day return policy.

6. djkinetic macrumors member

The reason is that in some factories they make the workers work crazy long hours during the week. Also remember each unit has to get checked individually that's a lot of work.

7. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Yeah but I'm pretty suren target has a 15% restocking fee no matter what.

Does your iPad have backlight leak? If so don't worry about the scratch they will replace your iPad.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Does not matter if you scratched it or not, if you are nice to the Apple Geek they will likely either fix it for free or give you a brand new unit.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

Untrue. Your mileage my vary. Up here in the White Plains store they would not replace my iPad 1 which had a faint scratch. I told them I had a feeling it came like that and was completely honest and nice. Genius says "Scratches on the screen are not covered by the warranty."

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I've just been in the same boat as you, melman101. 3 week old iPad 2, kept in a smart cover and in pristine condition and it somehow got a deep scratch on the screen. Genius at Apple Store in Cribbs Causeway, Bristol said it was not covered by warranty and would cost £290 for a swap.

Not impressed, Apple, given the amount of kit I've bought from you.

Can anyone recommend a good case that won't press grit or dirt against the screen when closed?

11. JCCWM macrumors newbie

Today I went to the Apple Store on El Paseo in Palm Desert, CA. I brought in my iPad 2. There was a real nice scratch right on the front of the screen. I told the guy I've had it for a couple months and I take pretty good care of it ... when one day I noticed I had a scratch on it ... and I had no idea how it got there. (this is all true, btw). The guy took one look at me ... jotted down some serial numbers from my Settings tab ... and brought out a brand new iPad. Made me sign away my old iPad and I walked out about 10 minutes later with a fresh new iPad 2.

I guess it depends on the store ... the genius ... and your situation. But it happens.