iPad 2 goin back again :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by parklife1987, Dec 15, 2011.

1. parklife1987 macrumors newbie

Got my new iPad about a 2 weeks ago and noticed a dead pixel. After a week it really started to bug me so took it back to Apple store and got a replacement.

The new one now has light bleeding round the edge which is much worse than a dead pixel. I want to book another appointment and get a replacement but from what I've read, I'm going to do well to get a perfect one!

So my question is... do I stick? or do I gamble?!!!

P.S Got my iPad replaced at The Leicester Apple sore (uk) amazing service.

2. darngooddesign, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

If the light bleeding isn't very noticible I would wait until you have a scratch on the back or some other cosmetic damage before having it replaced. I have a white spot on the screen in addition to some bleeding; I hardly notice to bleeding, but I do notice the white spot. I'm not swapping it out until I'm almost at the end of my warranty period so i end up with a brand new battery and a perfect back panel.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's this kind of thinking that drives up the price of Apple products. You're abusing Apples goodwill by returning a product you've damaged for a new one.

Try taking responsibility for your own actions. It's the adult thing to do.

4. darngooddesign, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Please explain how I caused the light bleeding and a white blotch on the screen. I figured someone would ignorantly point the finger at me and say I was abusing the system. I would be swapping mine out for a warranty replacement anyway, I'm just waiting longer.

All I said is that if you are going to legitimately replace your iPad for a warranty issue, wait until it has a scratch, scuff, or more time on the battery.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Oh please. Apple drives up the price of Apple products. iPads are premium devices at a premium price and customers have every right to insist they are perfect out of the box with no pixel issues or screen problems.

6. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I'm still amazed that this light bleed issue causes people to return iPads. If I purchased my iPad just to stare at a black screen all day, I don't think I'd be getting my money's worth out of the device.

7. matttye macrumors 601

I know, I don't get the obsession either. If you actually use the device instead of admire it, it's unnoticeable.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Yeah, unnoticeable until you "actually use" the device in the dark, reading, watching a movie, etc. where the bleed ends up being very distracting. My backlight bleed was bad enough to stick out like a sore thumb when watching letterboxed movies that I had to exchange my iPad2 - twice.

9. parklife1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

where does it end? what if an iPad has some light bleeding, or a couple of dead pixels, or machining marks, or even a dent?! At what point is it ok to take a product back and say, "this isn't what I expected".

I like Apple products because I buy into the premium experience. I don't want to pay £500 on something that's nearly right, there's plenty of other products for that. If I had the same issue with my TomTom, I wouldnt even question it. My nav is simply a cheap, functional product that gets me from A to B.

I created this thread to hear about others who have replaced their iPad, not too see if your OK with me sending it back.

----------

yup mines exactly the same. Were you happy with the third one or just give up in the end?

10. matttye macrumors 601

Doesn't distract me in the slightest. My iPad doesn't bleed light but I've had devices that do. Your concentration must be really fickle if light bleeding distracts you.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you know how bad the OP's light bleeding is? Maybe its minimal, but maybe its pretty extreme. As for me, the white spot is very noticible on a light background.

12. parklife1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't sound sound like a bad idea

13. klover macrumors 6502a

Ipad 2 build quality is poor (imo).

I've purchased 4 since launch and they've all had out-of-box issues:

1. Dents, scratches, chips around bezel and on the back. In one case, a sharp piece of aluminum was sticking out and cut my hand.

2. Yellow backlight bleed on all. Very pronounced on 2.

3. Dead pixels. Singles on all, clusters on 1.

4. Seperation/gap between glass and rear casing. In one case, the rubber gasket was actually broken and could be pulled out.

I ended up buying 2 brand-new first-generation models and neither had any issues (althought I'm aware that they, too, did have occassional problems). I swear the first-gen are built like a tank.