iPad 2 gone with the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by irDigital0l, Oct 12, 2012.

1. irDigital0l Guest

Anyone else think that the iPad mini will take the place of the iPad 2 now as a cheaper iPad than the 10-inch version?

I think Apple started named the iPad 3 as the new iPad was because they would only have 1 big iPad.

Go to a store...

"I want the iPad"

"I want the iPad mini"

You don't need numbers anymore if this is the case kinda of like how MacBook Airs and Pros work.

Another reason is that the iPad 2 still uses the 30-pin connector and it would be wise for Apple to change all its products to Lightening connectors asap. So far the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad nano have it while the iPad min is expected to get it and there's rumors that the iPad 3 will be upgraded to have it or the iPad 4 will have it.

2. scupking macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad 2 will be gone it will just be iPad and iPad mini

3. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

It matters how much the iPad mini will cost, if its the same price as the Ipad 2 then yes it probably will but if its less than theres a chance that it will stay just like what happened with iPhone 3GS.

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

I think iPad 2 will stay, at $399.

iPad mini is aiming at the KF market, the base model at $199. There is very little overlap.

Apple is trying to expand their market shares with a brand new product line. iPad 2 is still a cheap iPad 3 alternative.

If your logic is valid, then why is Apple still selling iPhone 4 and 4S then?

5. urkel macrumors 68030

$299 iPad Mini 16GB (iPod Touch is $299 for 32GB)
    $399 iPad 4 16GB (current iPad will be considered overpriced with new competitors)

iPhone 4/4S exist because of the importance of getting people into the iOS ecosystem for free/cheap. Ive never understood why someone would spend $120/mo on a cell bill but try to save $100 by buying an outdated phone yet so many non-iPhone users look at that iPhone 4 as a "Bargain". This is important to Apple because once they realize the greatness of iOS then next gen they'll buy the $299 version and will be iOS for life.

IF they find a way to subsidize iPads then the iPad2 would be a fine freebie, but if they continue the existing model then it makes more sense to stick with iPad 4 and iPad mini.

6. Evan_11 macrumors regular

I could see them dropping the iPad 2. It's probably selling well, but if Apple is smart, they will price the iPad mini at $250. A $250 iPad mini (as long as it has at least 16gig) would probably squash sales of the $399 iPad 2.

Here's what I'd like to see:

$249 16gig iPad mini
    $499 32gig iPad
    $599 64gig iPad

They could either add a 128gig version or just keep the rest of lineup but drop the prices to keep them competitive. As it is there are probably millions of iPad 2 owners who are not interested in upgrading, but might consider if they feel they can get more for their money.

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I think it will stay until the iPad 4 comes out in the Spring. The mini has to be somewhat competitive pricewise with the kindle fire and nexus 7 to sell well, and apple obviously thinks it will based on the rumor of 10 million being built. The mini I predict will be priced at $249-299 for the base model, while $399 price point will be left for the older generation full-size iPad and the $499 price will be for the new generation full-size iPad.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Getting rid of iPad 2 is like getting rid of 13 inch Air and telling people to pick between 11 inch Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro. The middle product offers a feature/price combo that is optimal for some people and not addressed by the lower and higher end products. I won't say Apple would never do it, but it doesn't seem smart of them to do so.

9. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

Now that the iPad mini is rumored to start $330

...anyone changing their minds?

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

If they dump the iPad 2, they leave the door wide open for the surface. At $500, without the iPad 2 being sold for the same price, the surface will be the clear best option for a 10" tablet at under $600. I want to see the surface succeed, but I also think apple would be foolish to do away with the iPad 2 right now

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

12. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with Apple having multiple sizes. One size does not fit all. I guess it took TIm Cook to finally realize that.

The real question is...where did all those haters of smaller screen device tablets go?????

They have mysteriously turned into smaller screen lovers I guess.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They are being mature and not raining on your parade.