iPad 2: great harware + boring software

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whyhellojoe, Mar 2, 2011.

1. whyhellojoe macrumors member

champion whinge here. love the sleek design (as always) but terribly disappointed that there's no news of a more tablet-like OS. sure, people whinge about fragmentation and stuff but i wished the tablet served as an intermediatary between the iPhone and Macs. it is a new product line afterall. it should take cues from existing products but not be an entire carbon copy of existing software.

my rant.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

iOS 5 is already in the pipeline, they definitely made this device with that in mind.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Jesus, it's the best tablet out there. If you don't like it go get a Xoom and cry when it doesn't meet your expectations either.

4. whyhellojoe thread starter macrumors member

that was a good one liner. haha. having said that, i'm not making any pretense about my whinge..

the problem is, xoom does have a nice OS with honeycomb in theory. in practice, as everyone knows, its flawed..

iOS is optimized and smooth because it doesnt push things to its limits much imho and that's why i wish apple would innovate more than ironically proclaiming to not rest on its laurels software-wise..

i'm sure apple can find at least a few uses for the big screen real estate and make productivity efficient and speedy on a tablet device..

at the end of the day, it's my rant wondering what people think about the OS' inadequacies. just because the competition does not have a smooth and flawless one with heaps of apps, i personally dont think it gives apple a reason not to innovate

5. Davichi macrumors 6502

I don't care what others say how great Xoom is with notification and how xoom has true multi-tasking.
    The tablet costs 799 dollars. That is unbelievable and unacceptable. I bought 11.6 MBA as refurbished and apple charged only 800 dollars for it.

800 dollars is not an acceptable price.

6. whyhellojoe thread starter macrumors member

i absolutely agree with you. just to set the record straight. i don't really care much for xoom. hardware+design-wise, the iPad is still spades. what i'm dissapointed with apple is with the OS' lack of innovation and differentiation factor for the iPad

7. Krandor macrumors 6502

New OS will come this summer.

8. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

it is time for a complete redesign of the OS, that i can say.

9. Davichi macrumors 6502

Today event was really more of hardware than software. iOS 4.3 is just minor updates as the numbers suggest.

iOS 5.0 will be most likely previewed on April.

Wait until iOs 5.0 this summer just like honeycomb was released this spring.

Why are people so impatient these days...

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

11. Management macrumors member

Then just wait a few months for iPad 3 .... then another few months for iOS6.

Buy now and enjoy things instead of always waiting.

12. gatearray macrumors 65816

And we add yet another internet meme to be repeated ad nauseum, as if we can all surely agree on this "fact".

"iOS needs a complete redesign!" Why? I don't really know, I read it on the internet a few times and it just stuck. It's just an "app launcher" much like my rotten computer... Lousy CS5 and Logic.

"iOS is boring!" My attention span is very short, and I need more bells, whistles, doo-dads, and in general, a GUI that looks like much more like a futuristic Sci-Fi channel B-movie prop with superfluous BS everywhere you look. I spend most of my time on the homescreen not doing much of anything, anyway.

"Honeycomb is designed for a tablet!" That fraud Andy Rubin at Android said so, so it must be true, even though HC will be on phones soon enough.

"Widgets! Notifications! Customization! Wah, wah, wah!" After all, these are the most important attributes an OS should aspire to on a tablet computer. Forget about API's and applications.

Ugh.

13. PCClone macrumors 6502a

What is a whinge?

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

15. Tmacfan4321, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Are you really so dense that you can't understand that the $800 Xoom is a 32GB model with LTE and 3G? The iPad 32GB 3G is $730 (no LTE).

The WiFi 32GB model will be $600.

iOS' UI hasn't changed since 2007. The rest of the mobile OSes are leaving it in the dust. Apple fans may be fine with it, but it is outdated.
    I would rather have a UI that is actually useful and aesthetically pleasing rather than just a grid of icons. Is that so much to ask?
    I understand that you are crotchety, but is there any need for name-calling? Honeycomb will never come to phones. Ice Cream will be the phone update that finally integrates the UI improvements from Honeycomb onto phones.
    I guess that you like having a ****** notification system that is obtrusive and pestilent, not having control over an OS, and not having a UI that has any sort of information or utility embedded in it. That's cool. You can continue to use your iPad as an App launcher and nothing further.

16. whyhellojoe, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

whyhellojoe thread starter macrumors member

i personally would like for;
    • some form of dashboard implemented where with news tickers, RSS, time, date etc (there was an app like that i think?)
    • widgets like honeycomb to show latest emails or most recent websites/media that users can scroll through easily
    • a file system (come on, something like the way the photos app in the iPad is. just pinch to open the folder to see its contents etc)
    • a quick view of the saved state of all apps
    • global saved state of apps (why leave this to developers that may not update apps for ages?)
    • improved notifications
    • apps can interchange any data easily (goes back to the file system implementation) etc

unrelated but.. cloud based iTunes syncing/backup of iPads and iPhones would be a dream come true..

@Tmacfan4321: high 5. i bet you someone's gonna ask us to "go use an android then" bla bla bla. the iPad is a one eyed person in the world of the blind. we want the iPad to have both eyes..

17. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

A British whine.