iPad 2 - HD vs standard format from iTunes store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMatthew, Jul 22, 2011.

1. iMatthew macrumors member

iMatthew

So here is my situation. I want to buy season 1 of the SW Clone Wars from the iTunes store and I have 2 choices - std and HD versions.

If I'm going to watch this only on my iPad 2 is there any difference at all in terms of quality? I can save a few bucks by getting the std version.

I appreciate any assistance on this.

Thank you
    Matt

2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Yes, there will be a difference in clarity. Especially considering you will have your iPad much closer to you than you would be sitting in front of a big television. While it is true that the iPad can not display 720p entirely; it will still look many times better than 480p.

3. Duluth Baptist macrumors member

Eh, we bought a couple of HD movies for the iPad looking forward to better resolution and generally weren't impressed. Now, part of the problem is that they were widescreen and either had to be letterboxed or cropped, losing some of the advantages of HD either way, but in the end I've regretted spending the extra money for something I don't get the full benefits from. YMMV.

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

For widescreen content, I don't feel like there's a big difference in quality.

5. iMatthew thread starter macrumors member

iMatthew

I appreciate all the responses folks. It seems like there is a small difference so I guess I will have to decide if the extra cost is worth it.

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

7. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I always get HD. Especially if I rent movies on the iPad 2. That way, if I elect to watch the movie/TV show on my HD TV via the Apple TV (Airplay), it's in HD quality.