iPad 2 HDMI to DVI works

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Pete the Geek, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've tested iPad 2 HDMI to DVI using the HDMI adapter and an HDMI to DVI cable and it works for both screen mirroring and movies.

I got the HDMI adapter with my iPad 2 with the intention of watching movies on my wide-screen computer monitor (it's actually bigger than my old CRT TV). I picked up a "RocketFish HDMI to DVI Cable" (from Futureshop here in Canada). The price for the cable was quite a bit more than I wanted to pay (they were "out" of the cheaper model I found on their website) but I can report that the setup works. It mirrors the iPad 2 display to the monitor and movies play in wide-screen letterbox. You have to provide for audio separately. I just wear headphones, but if someone else was watching I'd attach speakers to the iPad.

I didn't have time to shop around, but I'm sure there are less expensive cables that will work equally well. FWIW, the RocketFish cable seems to be very sturdy and well built.

2. johnking42 macrumors newbie

adapters don't seem to work

I have tested a HDMI to DVI adapter, then into the monitor cable and while that will mirror the signal, the color is way off. One monitor was all greens and another all magentas.

I will try a cable in instead.