iPad 2 home button unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JRoDDz, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I am starting to get an intermittent problem with the home button. Sometimes it just doesn't respond to any clicks, other times it's fine. I have tried hard reset and it still does it from time to time. Anyone else have or had this issue?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I hardly use the home button since I have gestures enabled.

3. matthewr macrumors member

My original iPad is doing the same thing. Not frequently enough to warrant replacing it with an iPad 2 yet, but it is annoying. I took it to the genius bar, but since it was out of warranty, there wasn't anything they would do. The Genius did say that he hadn't heard of it being a widespread problem with the iPad like it is with the iPhone 4.

4. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

Don't worry about home button... you won't be using it that much with iOS 5

5. 66775 macrumors member

Same here. Got a problem after 2 years on my first iPod Touch and it served me right. I've been careful ever since and now I'm using activator as much as I can. No double tap to display running apps, for instance, a double tap on the top screen will do. Awesome :)

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Bingo. I avoid the home button as much as possible. Gestures FTW!

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

If it's an iPad 2, it's still under warranty. Better to have it replaced.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

New to my iPad - is this a feature in the current iOS or is this a iOS 5 thing?

9. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It's kinda "hidden" in iOS 4.
    If you have a Mac with Xcode installed, launch Xcode with the iPad plugged in. In the devices window, select the iPad and choose 'Use for development. Then just cancel on the next alert.
    After that you'll have the 'Multitasking gestures' appearing in your iPad's 'General' preferences.
    I think there's a way to do it on Windows too but not sure what.
    Anyway, google 'iPad multitasking gestures'; you'll find the appropriate detailed process.

10. JRoDDz, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I agree. I'm heading over to the genius bar tonight. There are only 4 buttons on this thing.. And 25% of them aren't working properly :(

Edit: Was all set to head out and now it's working fine. Arrrggh! Perhaps It's a software issue.

11. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Same problem developing here w/ Ipad 2. The home button is intermittent. I wonder if glass cleaner is getting in there.

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Glass cleaner! Please tell me you are not using glass cleaner on your iPad?!? Jus use a simple microfiber cloth. Nothing more is needed.

13. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Sure I do, how else do you get all that bacteria and crud off? It is glass, after all.

14. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Actually, according to Apple, it is glass that has an oleophobic coating:D and they say:

Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. :apple:

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Well, if it came with Instructions, I might have known that. ;)

16. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Resetting the IPad as a new device solved the intermittent home button. Why, I can't say.

17. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Im having the same problem with my iPhone 4 on IOS5 GM. I think this might be a late bug but not important enough to update the release for. i find that pressing the sleep wake a few times fixes the home button... seems to happen once every few days

18. senseless, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I restored again from backup in Itunes, but my Ibooks library is gone. Where are these stored? If I download them again, will I get charged again?

Never mind, the books tab eventually returned in ITunes and synched back ok.

19. JRoDDz, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have a feeling that it's software that is causing it. I'm again starting to have the home button issue. I'm going to reset as new and see if it fixes it.

Update: I took the iPad in to the Apple Store and they replaced it. The new iPad's home button works flawlessly.