iPad 2 - how many iPad users will upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thrifty1, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

Question - especially for those who already have an iPad. Using this to help with my Apple stock forecast.

What % of current iPad owners do you think will upgrade to the iPad2 when it comes out?

I know there are many (like myself) who wait for the 2nd generation of most products. Those buyers will be significant. I'm curious what the upgrade % will be?

My "guestimate" is about 25% will trade-up. Too high or too low?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I think that's too low, but who knows.

For me, I already have a friend that is going to be buying my iPad when the next gen is released. So I'm definitely upgrading. I just haven't decided if I should stick with the low end or not yet...

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I Agree I can see more than 25% upgrading, but I think a fair amount will keep the current model they have and pass it onto another member of the family, rather than selling at a loss.

4. adrian-r macrumors newbie

5. Thrifty1 thread starter macrumors regular

Night Spring - thank you for the links. I'm thinking the sales of the iPad 2 will hit certain levels (1mil, 2mil, etc.) quicker than the original iPad due to first time buyers who have been waiting and the original buyers who will want to trade up.

I see no reason Apple stock won't continue to outpace the market.

6. emmab2006 macrumors member

Never because im not a Giant Sucker for what ever apple makes , My iPad does its job very well .. no need to upgrade simply for a god damn camera and a few extra meg of ram

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Yeah, yeah (I heard this before)... let's see what happens when it comes out.:D

8. DigitalRanger macrumors newbie

Agreed - I'll wait and decide once it's out... I'm also going to keep my eye open for what the competition brings out.... The google / moto tablet is intriguing :)

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'll upgrade, simply because I love to have the latest and greatest and I have the disposable income to have them. They may only be incremental upgrades, but something like the camera is huge for me as I do a lot of facetime.

The other reason I don't hesitate to upgrade is the high value of used Apple products. Even after the ipad2 comes out I know I'll be able to put my ipad1 on craigslist and recoup at the minimum half what I paid for it, probably more, so it's not like I'm paying full price for the ipad2.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Nope, not for 2nd gen. Planning on buying my husband a 2nd gen iPad though since he doesn't have an iPad at all. Then I'll upgrade my original sometime in 2012 when 3rd gen comes out. Preferably before the zombie apocalypse.

I tend to upgrade Apple toys every other gen (for iPhone/etc). My 2010 MBP I plan to hang onto for at least four years.

11. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

I don't know yet. I'm waiting to see the finished product before I decide. If the features are not that much different, I'll wait for iPad 3D. (SJ didn't patent 3D viewing without wearing glasses for nothing :p).

12. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

The Ipad is perfect the just the way it is as it came with a basic device to do basic fuctions no more nothing less ..no camera or extras hardware or devices to hog the fuction and battie life ..

if you need 64GB of stowage then you should go to a laptop or netbook for the applications you are running .

13. muu macrumors member

Really depends what it brings to the table. Better screen resolution, more memory/CPU, lighter weight... Substantial add-ons like those will definitely make me spring for a new ipad, but if it's only a feature-addon I may hold off for a year.

14. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

I'd say closer to 30%. Know a few people planning to be a 2-iPad set up.

I don't think the people sitting on the sidelines for the last 9 months are specifically waiting for the new iPad in large numbers.

Those who wanted one purchased one. If they were "waiting", IMO it was more to see how the platform evolved.

Now that they see the future of Tablets, specifically the iPad, they are just in time to wait a tad longer for the Twin Turbo Rev B with AWD, 15 Airbags, and 12 Cup Holders. $60 Billion in cash by the end of 2011. :apple:

15. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Like most Apple products I will say no and within six months I will have caved in and talked myself into upgrading.

16. planetwave2000 macrumors member

planetwave2000

ipad2

I always wait for the 2nd Gen (iPad) apple products for improvements and they usually drop the price for their new product.

IMO, apple's 1st Gen products are like a prototypes. Sure, they are interesting, cool and innovative. Apple studies the 1st Gen products by users feedback and they learn what they should put on the next Gen.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The first iPad is one hell of a prototype then...

18. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I will upgrade for sure, I love this one to death. If it has more memory, then I will upgrade instantly.

I just got the iPad Keyboard Dock and have started using my iPad so much more then I regularly do.

Typing on forums and replying to emails is a lot quicker and more convenient when near a desk. It is simply amazing.

I will probably pass my current iPad off to my family so they can have a nice little computer to do what they need it to do, specifically my dad who just browses eBay.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I will be upgrading. The iPad has been an extremely useful partner to my Mac.

20. rockinred macrumors member

Nope, no plans for it now. especially just for a camera that I know I will never use. a big giant camera like that has no use whatsover. I like pocket size cameras.

No guarantees on whether I will or not though. If I have some spare change laying around, I might buy one for the wife or kids. I'd buy more for the usage than the upgrade though.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I already sold mine last week. I'll buy the next version if Apple improves the screen resolution enough so that when reading a book the text isn't blurry. It doesn't have to be retina, just better than what it is now. And yes, the current screen is beautiful for most other tasks--but its not HD.