iPad 2 & HSPA+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tones2, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Are there any rumors afloat that the iPad 2 will support AT&T's HSPA+ network? Bummer if it doesn't.

Or maybe even LTE (although that's doubtful)?

2. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Most rumors are for the iPhone 5 not getting HSPA+ or LTE till 2012 so I would guess that would be the case for the iPad too. So iPad 2 no and maybe for iPad 3.

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am sure it will............only to be hit with an even lower cap

Joy, Joy

5. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I thought the iPhone has supported HSPA+ since the 3Gs. I thought I remember that being one of the hooks in the Keynote. It would depend on AT&T having the carrier firmware released to support it.

6. nosser macrumors regular

iPhone supports hspa which is capable of 7.2mbps but I only get about 3.5mbps usually. The hspa+ is different and will be capped at 21mbps. Att's network is almost fully upgraded to hspa+ and it's already turned on. The first device with that technology for Att will be on March 1st so it is possible for the next iPad to have it.

7. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

that's what I like to hear. What would be awesome is a Pentaband GSM chip that would allow for T-Mo to sell it if they wanted to. They could even call it a "4G" iPad. wouldn't that be hilarious?

8. blipmusic macrumors regular

On a 7,2mpbs note, operators here in Sweden had to back pedal on getting 7,2mbps. It seems around 1mbps is needed for package loss/correction (perhaps someone who knows this stuff wants to chime in?).

The ads now say "up to 6mbps" which I do reach (also depends on traffic congestion) when tethering my 3GS, which has been my only internet connection for the last 18 months (no cap what so ever).

I sometimes ponder, wearing my tinfoil hat, if it's the US networks that are holding the hardware down (or rather the fact that one has to pay through the nose for any meaningful data package over there).

There are 16mbps mobile broadband packages with unlimited data (no hard/soft cap) for $40/month, which is the price of most wired home connections over here.

I'd love for Apple to beef up the connection speed in their iDevices.

It's also a bit ironic to tether my 3GS to download apps over 20 mb just to transfer it back (iPhone -> MBP -> iPhone).

9. shingi70 macrumors regular

The inspire which uses Hspa+ came out two weeks ago. also Tmo network caps at at 42mbps with 128 coming next year before thier LTE rollout.

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Hate to ask i search but couldn't find anything but will the iPad 2 support HSPA+?

11. biosci macrumors 6502a

12. profets macrumors 68040

99% sure its HSDPA (7.2mbps down) and HSUPA (5.76mbps up), no 21mbps HSPA+. They probably would have mentioned something about it, especially since everyone loves to label HSPA+ as 4G.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T would be all over the news if they could label their version the "4G" capable iPad just to rub it in Verizon's face.
    Sadly, the tech specs appear to be standard 7.2 HSDPA.
    AT&T hasn't enabled HSUPA on their network for anything but the iPhone.
    All outgoing traffic is still UMTS.

Trust me... a lot of people who have "4G" (HSPA+) phones on AT&T are not getting 4G speeds. We barely get 3G.
    My iPhone 3GS gets faster speeds than my Atrix.

14. nosser macrumors regular

I am waiting for Ifixit to give a tear down of iPad2 as well. If they used the same Qualcomm chip in the vz iPhone then it should have hspa+. And I doubt Apple would say anything about it since it only affects the gsm version. Apple didnt even mention the ram even though everyone wanted to know that spec.