iPad 2 & iMovie

Discussion in 'iPad' started by urbanmacUser, Mar 3, 2011.

1. urbanmacUser, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

Simple question, how do you get the Movies you want to edit on to it and why do it on the iPad.

Using the iPad 2 as a video camera is going to be clunky.
    If you sync from iTunes you most likely have iMovie or editing software.
    My Panasonic camera records in AVCHD format to the SD card, so could go via the iPad SD card reader, if I have it with me and if the iPad 2 reads the file format.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would assume like everything - iTunes.

3. urbanmacUser thread starter macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

Indeed, I put that. But why would not just edit it on the Mac or PC that has iTunes on, its going to be faster than an iPad.

Also when I transfer movie footage from my digital camera to my desktop or laptop iMovie opens and imports. How then do you shift it to iTunes to sync to the iPad and again why, you have it already in iMovie!

4. mullman, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

The Cam Connection kit includes a SD reader and can process most popular formats.
    If you are still using a tape based codec, not sure what do except import into your fav non-linear editor then pack out the clips into iPhoto to sync with the iPad - all that would be horribly inefficient.

Otherwise, there is no reason you couldn't pull videos/photos off the iPhone 4 via the tether cable, no computer needed.
    I am very excited for updated iMovie with increased functionality on the iPad.
    Couple that with GarageBand and you have a 1.3 lb überportable creation/editing station.

I still think the cameras on the iPad 2 are awkward, the iPhone 4 + Glif is a much better guerilla acquisition system.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I dunno, probably the same reason some folks are clamoring for photoshop on the iPad. Some things are better left on a computer with a mouse and keyboard.

Too me it looked like apple is creating solutions in search of a problem.

6. urbanmacUser thread starter macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

I'm with you there. I also think the way they handle video and movie files is a bit muddled.

You end up having movies, in iMovie, iTunes and iPhoto.