Ipad 2 Ios 6 upgrade on windows 8

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kleistra, Sep 4, 2012.

1. kleistra macrumors newbie

I'm trying to upgrade my Ipad 2 to IOS 6 b4, but it just states something like "firmware version not compatible". I'm quite sure I have downloaded the correct firmware version, and I've done upgrades on my ipod touch to IOS 6 previously.

Any clue what is wrong? I'm on Windows 8, but that's not a problem, is it?

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

3. kleistra thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not a developer. I'm a user of beta versions.

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I guess I meant, you have a developer account, correct? Otherwise your UDID won't allow you to install a beta.

Though, now I see your iPod touch is on iOS 6, so I assume you've already cleared that hurdle. Sorry I can't help...

5. kleistra thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, sorry. Thought it was kinda common knowledge that you've been able to do IOS 6-upgrades without being a registered developer all the way through the betas.

Or is that not so on the Ipad 2?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It was true for beta-1 and then you could always OTA upgrade to the next beta.
    Going straight from iOS5 to beta-4, I don't know.

7. Jab00 macrumors regular

It was working on b3 too but I don't have any clue about b4

8. kleistra thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out I cant even restore to 5.1 (via Itunes, shift + downloaded firmware)

Anyone to confirm that Windows 8 ain't the probem?

9. ben824, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

ben824 macrumors regular

I played around with installing the betas straight from iOS 5.1.1 and it worked on all of them up to beta 3. I did beta 4 OTA so I cannot confirm that it can be done with beta 4. To make sure we are all on the same page I am not a developer but a proud apple user that is just helping add real world usage diagnostics info for apple to use to figure out bugs.

In order to go back to iOS 5.1.1 you will need to put the device back in DFU mode. You will need an iOS 5.1.1 firmware .ipsw that you can download from the internet if you search around just like you got the iOS6 beta .ipsw for your iPod touch and iPad. Use the same method to install the 5.1.1 .ipsw as you did with the iOS 6 beta .ipsw restore file. Then restore from your last 5.1.1 backup that you made on either iCloud or on your computer.

If you are getting an error message from iTunes saying that it is the incorrect firmware then you more than likely downloaded the wrong .ipsw file. Each device, iPod touch 4th generation, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 GSM, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and New iPad (iPad 3), all have their own individual iOS 6 beta x .ipsw file. Meaning you can't use the same .ipsw file for a 3GS on a New iPad or even on an iPhone 4S. So you need to look up the right iOS 6 beta 4 .ipsw file for your iPad.

Also it is 100% necessary to get a beta 4 .ipsw file. You CANNOT install an expired beta on a non-registered developer device (ask me how I know). We aren't even supposed to be able to install a current beta but Apple seemed to have left that little bug there allowing us to install it with our little back door trick. My theory behind that is so "enthusiast users" like us can play with it and help add real world user diagnostics data to their diagnostics data pool to better find bugs. But that is just my theory and I have no real evidence to back that up.

So search again for the right file and confirm that the one you have is correct. If not, download the right one. Also get a correct .ipsw file for your iPad for 5.1.1. Restore your device back to 5.1.1 with a backup. Then using the correct iOS 6 beta 4 .ipsw file, update to iOS 6.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

logic to me says if your having issues in windows 8 then use windows 7 and try again

11. kleistra thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved this, turns out apple made a new version of the wifi ipad 2, and not knowing this I just downloaded the regular wifi version.