iPad 2 iOS upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by luckyvictor, Oct 15, 2014.

1. luckyvictor macrumors newbie

Hi

I was given a iPad 2 from a friend as he will upgrade his device, currently the iPad 2 is running on iOS 5.1.1, and I would like to upgrade the iOS.

However, I was not able to do it. I would like to upgrade the iOS but Not ios 8, because I heard it still has a lot of bugs, and iOS 8 on iPad 2 could be slow anyway. Hence, I download iOS 7.1.2 and iOS 6.1.3 manually and tried to upgrade via iTunes.

I found some tutorial online and seems like all I need to do is connect the iPad 2 to the computer, run iTunes, click shift + upgrade, and I am able to select the iOS file to manually restore (upgrade) my iOS. The problem comes now, it always says that I am not able to upgrade it with an unknow error ( I can't remember the exact statement but it is what it means, it doesn't give me a reason).

May I ask someone to help please? Am I doing something wrong during the process? Or I have no chance to upgrade to ios 7 or 6 but only 8?

Many thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can only upgrade to the currently signed version of iOS. In this case, iOS 8.0.2.

3. luckyvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is absolutely no way to upgrade to an iOS which is not iOS 8? What about any unofficial way perhaps?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

We have a couple second generation iPads in the household and they are working fine with the latest update. After installing the update, I suggest clearing out your safari cache and resetting network settings to let everything start fresh.

Don't forget too that iOS 8.1 will be out soon and that will clean up some of the issues. The latest OS isn't that biggy though from what we have have experienced.