iPad 2 & iPad 3 might exist together as separate products.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doug in albq, Jul 2, 2011.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I could see this happening.

iPad 3 will not replace iPad 2, they will exist together.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not me:cool:

3. erawsd macrumors 6502

IF there is another iPad coming and it is built to target a different market, then I doubt it will be called the iPad 3.

4. alfmil, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Wait a minute! Another tablet competing with the iPad2? That would have to be called an iPad killer, even if it's an iPad3. :D

Kinda goes against Apple traditions though. Other than previous year same products no 2nd Touch came out side-by-side with the iPod Touch. No second Nano. No second Shuffle. Not that other companies don't do that though. In fact almost everyone else makes both a 7" (or 8") and a 10" tablet. Samsung even makes 4" and 5" Android media players.

6. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

What if the third iPad is a 7 inch screen with 250-326 dpi display....which is why it might come out only 6 months after the iPad 2...!? :eek:

Also, think about this, 3 screen sizes for MBP, two screen sizes for MBA, 2 screen sizes for iMac...

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

"iPad 3" is just an arbitrary label attached to a rumored device. It is not an official Apple designation. Unfortunately, what's happened is that many folks have assumed that the new device will be a successor to iPad 2 based on the uninformed and unimaginative designation 'iPad 3'.

I agree with the OP. We currently have four models of iPod coexisting: shuffle, nano, classic and touch. Each addresses a different market segment. Having at least two models of iPad (full size and compact, for example) doesn't seem unreasonable.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Typically as apple rolls out a new revision, the old one is retired, and I think will be the case for any iPad updates.

9. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

from what i remember doesn't the iPad's battery take up the majority fo the space in the iPad? the 10 hour length of said battery has also been a main feature Stevey boy likes to let everyone know about so unless they could reduce the size of the battery without affecting the length of run time i doubt we'll be seeing a smaller iPad.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You've seen all the "iPad 2" product displays that apple uses in all non-Apple stores right? It's named and advertised that way by apple.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok..but he is talking about the ipad 3 which apple may or may not call it that

12. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Which is why iPad 2 is a product name, and iPad 3 right now is a placeholder ;)

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, I understand that. The 3rd generation iPad, unless the line splits into more products, will simply be called iPad 3. They like to stay consistent unless something alters the entire product line.

14. batman75 macrumors 6502

The only thing I've heard that might be different about the iPad 3 over the iPad 2 is the higher resolution screen.

It's highly unlikely there will be a new processor - it will certainly be an A5 processor.

So I think it is entirely plausible they call it iPad 2 with retina display, or iPad 2R or something like that. This way they can run both together, lock competition out of the production capacity for higher resolution displays, yet not free up the production capacity for lower resolution displays.

That's what I would do, and I would price the R models at a premium to current MSRPs.

15. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

You will notice in the body text of my second posting in this thread that I said "the third iPad" not "iPad 3"

16. erawsd macrumors 6502

Would be kinda odd for them to release a 7" inch or anything smaller after Jobs tore the idea to pieces just 9 months ago -- I think he flat out called them "useless".

17. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502

18. Arran, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Calling them useless doesn't mean Apple can't build a better, "non-useless" version. Steve's quite fond of equivocation: When Steve says "No" we hear "Maybe." Here's why

For example...

No video iPod.
    No iPhone.
    No need for an iPhone SDK.
    No iPad.
    No iBooks.
    No multitasking.

...have all been implied.

19. erawsd macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I'd say Steve was being dishonest in any of those statements - they likely were true at the time. Some of those things took years to actually happen. Apple saw that they were wrong so they delivered. Jobs certainly wasn't the only one that thought the Kindle would flop. They changed their minds about the SDK due to developer demand.

These comments are still fresh and I can't say I've seen much demand for such a thing.

20. nismo13 macrumors newbie

I believe apple is one of the best companies out there. Many people do not realize why apple may bring another tablet out to the market so soon after the the ipad2 just released. The reason is that apple knows they have the tablet market in a chokehold, the only competition that they have is all those cheap archos and asus tablets that are selling for like 300-400 compared to the ipad2's 499 base. I believe Apple will release the new ipad this year with a higher res screen(thats it) and sell for the same 499 but they will also announce that the base ipad 2's will sell for 399. Wouldn't that seem like the smart thing to do?

21. ESPN macrumors regular

I doubt it, Apple promotes their technology and always(except for 3GS) phase out their old.

22. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

then how did we get 4 different kinds of iPods, not 4 spec. ranges, 4 different kinds...?

23. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Jobs is well known for dissing things Apple doesn't have or sell, then turning around and touting his version as magical.

Jobs' main claim was that 7" devices were too small for tablet apps. Okay, I can buy that for some app types.

However, he didn't say they were too big for iPod touch apps or book readers :)

25. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

compact ipad = ipod touch ]]DUHHHHH[[