iPad 2 is freaking fast

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Im not sure how it stacks up against iPad 1 but this baby is quick. A lot faster than iPhone 4.

Multitasking is smooth and damn quick couldn't be happier.

2. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Well "multitasking". It'd be interesting to see how it actually did real multitasking.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

much faster than the first gen model. I was happy I upgraded.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

It feels just about as fast as my desktop computer maybe quicker it's amazing.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

The browsing experience is pretty close to my MBA browsing. Not bad.

6. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Never owned the 1st one, but there are few iPad 1 owners at work. It's fairly slow with graphics and transitions, so iPad 2 is an improvement.

As for multitasking, considering it's not really multitasking, I see no reason for it to be slow.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

I own the 1st and the 2nd one. I like the looks of the first one (maybe I'm better used to it) but the 2nd one feels much lighter and is def. faster. I can barely run more than 2 apps on the first one on the latest SW update.

8. USGIshimura macrumors member

Really? Really?. That old saying.

Human beings cannot multitask. Can't do it. Period. You can divide your attention but you cannot multitask. Not up for debate.

iOS multitasks. It has several apps available at a moments notice. The same as exposé.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

Just yesterday with iOS I was streaming a podcast, downloading a file, had audio navigation cues in the background, logging my route to a GPX file and hosting a wifi access point while switching between IM, my browser and a game.
    Not bad for a device that "isn't really multitasking" ;)

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Was it a jailbreak multitasking? Because apple's version of multitasking is just saving app state and launching it when needed.

11. err404, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

No, it's stock...
    Streaming a podcast (Podcaster - BG Audio API)
    Downloading a file (iCab - BG Task Completeion API)
    Audio navigation cues (TomTom - Nav API)
    Logging my route to a GPX (GeotagPhoto - Nav AVI)
    Wifi access point (Native)
    IM (Beejive - BG Task Completion API)
    Browser (Opera - BG Task Completion API)
    Game (Tiny Wings - simple Task Switching)

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what your point is. The OP was talking about how fast multitasking worked for him. You say that it's 'not really multitasking' but who cares if the end result for the OP is the same? I'd rather have fast fake :)rolleyes:) multitasking by saving app states than have an iPad run processes unnecessarily in the background just so I could say "wow it's still fast, look at all that wasted processor power since I don't notice any difference on the front end, but at least it's real multitasking, woah".

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah iPad 1 to 2 is like going from 3gs to iPhone 4.

14. err404 macrumors 68020

More like a 3G to a 3Gs. (much bigger jump in speed)

15. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

btw, that's a common misconception.

Human's cannot multitask as in: you can't efficiently cook a meal, solve mathematic calculations and watch TV at the same time.

a 'task', however, can involve browsing through a PDF in iBooks 'AND' reading up on wikipedia while writing onto a notepad at the same time.

16. err404 macrumors 68020

To be fair multitasking is important. Who wants to watch a file downloading or a web page load? But the fact is that iOS apps can multitask in most meaningful ways via the current API's.
    The only significant omission in the current setup is the ability for and app to schedule a task completion event. For example, I would love the ability for news reader to be able to download the days articles at 6:00am w/o requiring me to launch the app to kick off the process. Or for a weather app to update it's data on the hour so it's always up to date...

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

In other words, humans can't multitask in any substantive way; human 'multitasking' is meaningful only if its definition is trivially true.

18. Irishman macrumors 68030

Um, the definition of multitasking for humans is different than that of machines.

For humans, it basically means "doing more than one thing at a time"...like walking and chewing gum. Kids learn early on how to do it. So, I disagree with your premise.

19. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

only on macrumors would a thread turn to some worthless babble about what "multitasking" is :rolleyes:

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

it didn't really start out any better, to be honest

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's so hard having to constantly switch between making my heart beat, filling my lungs with air, walking, breaking wind and eating an ice cream, at the same time listening to my mp3 player, and feeling the wind blowing on body and the heat from the sun on my face all at the same time.

Wears me out having to constantly stop each of those tasks and flip between them all the time.